Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

SAPdb - Anybody ever work with this? Could LinksSQL work with this db?

Quote Reply
SAPdb - Anybody ever work with this? Could LinksSQL work with this db?
Hi All

I'm no database whiz, but I just heard about SAPdb, which is now free and open source. The important part for me is that it's touted to be as good as Oracle.

http://www.sapdb.org/

Any opinions?

Many thanks Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] SAPdb - Anybody ever work with this? Could LinksSQL work with this db? In reply to
SAPDB is widely used in the SAP world. It was orginally developed under the name of ADABAS D by the other German ERP provider Software AG. Then it was sold to SAP. I think, chances to win against Oracle where so small, that it was decided to make it open source. Also, Hasso Plattner (CEO of SAP) and Larry Ellison do not like each other too much, so it was may be intended to be a little kick towards Larry.

Now ... looking to the DB functionality there are two main points: Administration and Programming

The biggest plus for the SAP Db is the Administration. It is - more or less - administration free. It balances the disk load itself. I have some collegues, supporting both SAPDB and Oracle Systems and they need ten times more time for Oracle. Also it is designed as enterprise database and has all professional features. There are Webbased tools for administration for all ususal operations (like online and offline backup) available (as well as clis). The performance is very good. However, there it does not scale like Oracle. So if you want to do a project for 400000 power users, buy Oracle.

In regard to the understood SQL dialect, SAPDB supports specific Oracle and DB2 SQL versions. Is there anything available, what you may find at Oracle? Frankly, i don't know. Have a look to the online doku.

The main disadvantage is the lack of documentation and experts. The documentation is described as chaotic and there are not much books available.

Wherefore use SAPDB? In my opinion, if you use SAP use also SAPDB. It is just cheaper. If you want to use SAPDB for an own development, you should plan a bit more time for testing. SAP may put more money into the resoulution of SAP specific problems

cheers

mick
Quote Reply
Re: [mickk] SAPdb - Anybody ever work with this? Could LinksSQL work with this db? In reply to
Thanks very much, mickk. I know a database guy who might want to try SAP for some projects.

Much appreciated Smile Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] SAPdb - Anybody ever work with this? Could LinksSQL work with this db? In reply to
I forgot the web-ressource. You will find there a lot of info and SAP even sends you a free distribution CD in case you do not want to download ...

It is: www.sapdb.org