Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Flash in html templates

Quote Reply
Flash in html templates
Hi,
I'm trying to incorporate some flash into my html templates (GT products) but can't get it to work.
Has anyone done this?
I downloaded a sample flash template from TemplateMonster to see if I could get it working before I buy anything.
If I upload all the files to my public directory and call them up there is no problem but when I try to incorporate them within my GT product html templates it doesn't work. I guess this is because the GT templates are not in a public directory (e.g my cgi directory). I have tried using -
<%include /path/to/my/public/dir/flash.html%>
to call up the files from my public directory but it still doesn't work.
I'm sure the problem is something to do with were my files are located and would appreciate it if some could explain which files go where when incorporating flash with GT products (e.g. Can I put swf files and image files in my template directory? etc).
Any help would be most welcomed.
Thanks.

PS the flash template I downloaded includes the following index.html file -

<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body style="padding:0;margin:0;background-repeat:repeat-y" background="images/bg.gif">
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="769" height="599">
<param name="movie" value="leonardo34_main.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<embed src="leonardo34_main.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="769" height="599"></embed>
</object>
</body>
</html>
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] Flash in html templates In reply to
If you are attempting at something like following ( a flash album -- using luna templates) the yes possible. page.cgi?flashpage where flashpage.html is the template built around luna home.htm template say body_id changed accordingly)

You would have to be careful about:

<param name="movie" value="<%config.build_root_url%>/flash/flashmovie.swf">

where i presume flash is the directory where you are placing all your flash stuff (could change it to your liking)

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: May 19, 2005, 8:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Flash in html templates In reply to
Thanks for your reply.
I want to do it for any kind of flash not just an album.
I would like to put a flash intro on my home.html template and also include flash on other html template pages as well.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for your reply.
I want to do it for any kind of flash not just an album.
I would like to put a flash intro on my home.html template and also include flash on other html template pages as well.
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks.

That was just a demo that it can be done. Flashalbum was just a live example. You could put any flash component anywhere :)

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Would appreciate it if you could explain where the different types of files should be stored (e.g in my template directory, public area, etc.)
Is it ok to use an include to insert flash into my templates?
Thank you.
Quote Reply
Movie files anywhere in or below <%config.build_root_url%>
Template (.html ) in the usual place where i presume you are using the admin templates editor.

Wherever your are having that <object ....></object> make sure that the paths are correct something like

param name="movie" value="<%config.build_root_url%>/yourdirectory/moviename.swf

That should be it unless i am missing something

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
I've tried everything and I still can't get this to work.
I would appreciate it if someone could try to incorporate the atached flash sample into a GT html template file (I'm using DBManSQL but I assume all GT products use the same template system).
If you click on the index.html in the html folder in the with_flash folder the flash sample will run but after uploading to my server I can't get it to run.
I've been trying to call the index.htm as an include from one of my templates.

Any advice would be most welcomed.
Thanks.

Quote Reply
Sorry, here are the sample files.
Quote Reply
Quote:
I've been trying to call the index.htm as an include from one of my templates.

I do not have DBManSQL. Yet such includes are not possible AFAIK from gmail/glinks

Refer few posts above. But these pages wouldn't be vlaidating on validator.w3.org

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Even if I don't use the include and put the object directly in the html template it still doesn't work.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
OK. I've got this working (either with the flash embeded in the html template or using an include or using a template global) but only if the graphics are part of the .swf file (e.g included in the flash library of the .fla and not graphics loaded from another directory like in the case of the samples I uploaded in an earlier post).
I don't know anything about flash so I don't know why this is a problem. Is it because I need to amend the image path in the .fla file or is it a problem with the parsing of the html template?
I would appreciate it if someone (who knows something about flash) can find out what the problem is. Please try to incorporate the sample into Links or DBManSQL (or any other GT product that uses html templates) and see if it works. The sample .fla file that goes with the other files previously uploaded is too big to upload to this forum so please download it here -
http://www.templatemonster.com/...mic_flash_sample.zip
Thank you.