Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Possible Virus Emergency - lots of little dots

Quote Reply
Possible Virus Emergency - lots of little dots
Hi All

Here's what's happening:

1. Little dots (periods) start to be added without stop when I open either a text doc or some form with a textbox........................................................

2. Did full system scan with Norton but nothing detected - I keep the system updated - I also have all incoming and outgoing email auto-scanned

3. Tried to use GoBack, but there were no boots to go back to - seems that they were wiped out

4. During boot, system automatically goes into cmos setup (i believe it's cmos) - I then Exit Without Saving, and then boot resumes

5. Uninstalled mouse software - MS Intellipoint - thinking that the prob had something to do with the mouse, but no change - still lots of periods.............

6. I read about some of the latest viruses, but nothing sounded like this.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

My main machine is now useless, but I'm not quite sure how to approach this cuz Norton came up zilcho - I'm hiding my panic Smile

Many thanks

------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

DogTags: Feb 2, 2005, 10:09 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Possible Virus Emergency - lots of little dots In reply to
I had the same problem before. Turned out that it was the voice recognition software I had installed. When I turned off the microhone, the dots (and other odd characters) went away. I have since uninstalled the software, and problem no more. I don't know if this is the case for you, but what you describe is exactly what happened to me.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Possible Virus Emergency - lots of little dots In reply to
Hey Dan

I think I turned off the voice stuff long ago. I'll take a look and report back.

Quote Reply
Could it be a dying machine?

If so, what might be the prob?

Quote Reply
Your (3) and (4) are suspicious. Out of curiosity, do you have a microphone connected, and is it turned on? Still working the other angle as it is so similar to what happened to me - however, not with (3) and (4). You could try the MS Newgroups: http://www.microsoft.com/...sgroups/default.mspx

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Dan the Man

YOU NAILED IT! Cool

Man, I would NEVER have figured this out.

I know I turned off this voice recognition thing when I first got the machine, at least I thought so. I do have a mike plugged in for IM and stuff. If I can find any way to rip out this VR by the throat, I'm gonna do it.

I spent some time on the phone with Dell tech, and they ran a hard drive diagnostics and did some other stuff that I hadn't seen before.

Thanks so much, Dan. I owe you a monster beer Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Feb 2, 2005, 11:42 PM
Quote Reply
Cool, and you're welcome! A beer would go down well now =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Save the beer for when the Eagles win Cool

Quote Reply
Football ended for me when the Argos downed the Lions 27 to 19 in the Grey Cup, back in November 2004 =) But I may watch the Super Bowl if just to see if any costumes malfunction during the half-time show ;)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Smile Smile