Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Backing up/ Duplicating Website

Quote Reply
Backing up/ Duplicating Website
Hi,
This may sound crazy to some and maybe even basic, but Im stuck. Basically i host two sites, 1. mysite.com and 2. dev.mysite.com, (these are not the actual urls)

So what im trying to do is create an exact copy of 1. mysite.com and I want to delete every thing on my dev site and start fresh, after that i want to restore the backup from mysite.com to dev.mysite.com.

We havent updated our dev site in a while, and we are looking to add features to our actual site, but before we want to test the new features on the dev site, hint hint this is why i need my dev site to be exactly the same.

Does anyone have a simple solution to this? Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: [jacobhoss] Backing up/ Duplicating Website In reply to
Hi,

Is this related to Gossamer hosting, or general? Seems more like its talking about general hosting, and not Gossamer's (http://gt.net/)

Please let me know, and I'll move it into the correct place for you

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Backing up/ Duplicating Website In reply to
Andy,
It is the Gossamer File Manager. we host through Nexcess but use your file manager. Basically what i need to do, is make a copy of this root, and all sub folders, and then I need to drop them in my dev site!

Quote Reply
Re: [jacobhoss] Backing up/ Duplicating Website In reply to
Hi,

I've moved the post for you. Where you posted is for people who have questions / feedback about the hosting services Gossamer offer - not any of the software.

Also, I don't work for Gossamer... I'm just a helper Angelic

Do you have SSH access for your live and dev site? Are the accounts on the same server? If so, are you able to do direct copies of them into another folder?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!