Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Separating MySQL results

Quote Reply
Separating MySQL results
It's been ages since I played with PHP but I'm back at it and I've got a problem. Of course when I have a problem, I come here...

I want to separate 3 results that are taken from 1 mysql query. This is as far as I've gotten:

Code:

$prev_verse = $_GET['verse'] - 1;
$next_verse = $_GET['verse'] + 1;

$sql = @mysql_query("SELECT text FROM bible_ot WHERE book = '$_GET[book]' AND
chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$prev_verse' OR book = '$_GET[book]' AND
chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$_GET[verse]' OR book = '$_GET[book]' AND
chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$next_verse'");

I know there's a big while statement or something that I need but I'm lost now... I just can't figure out how to manipulate arrays the way I want. Eg: Put it all into an array "mysql_fetch_array" then separate them into their own variables or callable id's ($var[first statement], $var[second statement], etc.) Main thing is, I want to break that array up into 3 variables so I can use each one individually rather than limit them all to that one while statement.
Quote Reply
Re: [JoFrRi] Separating MySQL results In reply to
I would just use something like;

$sql = @mysql_query("SELECT text FROM bible_ot WHERE (book = '$_GET[book]' AND chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$prev_verse') OR (book = '$_GET[book]' AND chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$_GET[verse]') OR (book = '$_GET[book]' AND chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$next_verse')");

Actually, wouldn't this do what you want?

SELECT text FROM bible_ot WHERE book = '$_GET[book]' AND chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND (verse = '$prev_verse' OR verse = '$_GET[verse]' OR verse = '$next_verse')

?

Regarding the "while" did you try somethingl like this? (no guarantees =));

Code:
// Connecting, selecting database
$link = mysql_connect("$db_host", "$db_user", "$db_password")
or die("Could not connect");

//select the database
mysql_select_db("$db")
or die("Could not select database");

// the query
$query = "SELECT text FROM bible_ot WHERE (book = '$_GET[book]' AND chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$prev_verse') OR (book = '$_GET[book]' AND chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$_GET[verse]') OR (book = '$_GET[book]' AND chapter = '$_GET[chapter]' AND verse = '$next_verse')";
$result=mysql_query($query)
or die ('<H1 align=center><font color=red>Bad Database Request</font></H2> in :<BR>'
.__FILE__ .' line '.__LINE__
.'<BR><br /><b>The query used was:</b><BR><BR> '.$query
.'<BR><br /><b>MySQL says</b><BR><BR> '.mysql_error();

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

echo "Entry: " . $row['text'] . "\n";

}

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!