Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Webalizer...

Quote Reply
Webalizer...
Wow.. what a cool script! I have never installed it before, and just did it yesterday for a client. Its a bit weird to get used to first of all, but once you have /usr/bin/webalizer assigned, its so simple to setup a cron to generate the stats pages. I never realised how easy it was! (just a vote of confidence, in case anyone else is thinking about installing it).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Webalizer... In reply to
I bet it's a lot easier just to:

Code:
apt-get install webalizer

:-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Webalizer... In reply to
Probably... yeah Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Have you got a sample output? Or should I just be less lazy and check out their homepage? :)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Webalizer... In reply to
One thing I've noticed with many, many stats scripts is that they do not tie key words to search engines.

You might learn that "fred" is the best keyword, and you might learn that "google" is providing the most hits, but you won't have a clue whether "fred" is being found in google or where in the search results 'fred' comes out in google.

I have found this lacking in AWStats, Urchin, and Webalizer. If there are ways to extract these linkages, I haven't found them.

The AXS script does provide such linkage. You can know which keywords came out in which search engines and where in the results. It's really great.

It's just that I haven't found an industrial-strength stats system that provides these results, and I don't like those third-party things like Hitbox. They can hang up pages.

My two cents....... Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Webalizer... In reply to
That is why I go with a client-server application, like WebTrends Log Analyzer, yep, very expensive, but you get what you pay for. :)

WebTrends Log Analyzer does a wonderful job with tieing keywords to search engines, and many other variables to give a broad and accurate picture of your web traffic.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Webalizer is great for clients ... though I think the documentation does not give sufficient warning about the heuristic nature of 'visits', and just how wide of the mark those estimates can be.

As a web management tool, it is not so good. A glaring defect is the absence of an error report ... it tells you how many 404s, etc, you are returning, but not the requests which were responsible.

If your budget is limited, Analog http://www.analog.cx/ is excellent for web managers, though you would have to set aside a whole day to learn how to use all the config settings (there are hundreds of them). If you need client-friendly Analog output, there is a good add-on called Reportmagic http://www.reportmagic.org/

If your site is not large (eg: less than 1000 pages) and your traffic is modest (eg: less than 15,000 requests per day), Weblog http://awsd.com/scripts/weblog/ can provide useful information, especially about referrers, search terms and errors.

Analog and Weblog are both free.

Last edited by:

YoYoYoYo: Oct 7, 2003, 11:56 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Webalizer... In reply to
ClickTracks does exactly that. Very nice PDF outputs to pass onto clients, too.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: AwSTATS In reply to
I like Awstats.

Although it is constanly under development, I found it much easier to work with than Webalizer.

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
Nora @
www.baytides.ca