Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

What would you look for in a stats script?

Quote Reply
What would you look for in a stats script?
Ok, I've heard a lot of things around the forums about a stats program. I've decided to write one Smile Its going to be in PHP. I've already started on the basic script. The features I have already are;

Reset total
Monthly total
Monthly Unique
Annual total
Annual Unique
Daily stats

What other features would you look for in a stats scripts? I want to make as feature packed as possible Wink Any help you can give wil be much appreciated.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] What would you look for in a stats script? In reply to
How/where are you reading the stats?....are you parsing apache logs?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] What would you look for in a stats script? In reply to
Its going to be run via a PHP include, or if you do not want to use that, then you can use an IFRAME/ILAYER combination to call the stats script are record it all Smile Already tested these options, and they works fine.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hmm sorry to be a party pooper but it does sound like you are re-inventing the wheel. Do you honestly think you can create something as good/better than webalizer and/or analog?
Quote Reply
Dynamic graphs on the fly, per my specification.

But then again, my stats package of choice, Analog, already handles this. And it's in Perl ;-) And I very much doubt you can beat the speed of Analog!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] What would you look for in a stats script? In reply to
Well, analog/webalizer do something different. They analayze apache logs.

If you are using a client side stat program, that runs as a php include on all your page, you can do a lot more as you have much more information then what is in the apache log files. i.e. you can track actual paths much more accurately, you can track exit/arrival pages, etc -- webtrends claims to do this, but it's no where near as accurate as something that is running as a client side program using cookies.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] What would you look for in a stats script? In reply to
hmmm doesn't the program phpmystats or something like that already do this?

I say check the competition and go beyond what they have to offer.

good luck

Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] What would you look for in a stats script? In reply to
In Reply To:
webtrends claims to do this (...)

Webtrends Live does! Its great and I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: [cK] What would you look for in a stats script? In reply to
At a minimum, you need to think about the schema for your stats, something like: user -> session -> pages. If you are doign that, you are on the right track. Next, I want to be able to easily rewrite the logged urls and/or tag pages as part of a section. It is less interesting to me to know that 3% of hits went to 781248976.htm, and more intersting to know that 23% of hits were in the "help" section (which may or may not all reside under the /help directory). I could keep going but that should keep you busy for a bit.
Quote Reply
I'd look for a stats script that does everything that "Urchin" does.

If you can replicate that, you're onto a winner.

regan.
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] What would you look for in a stats script? In reply to
here's one from hotscripts

logger X

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile