Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Anyone wanna test my mailing list script?

Quote Reply
Anyone wanna test my mailing list script?
From what I can tell its just about ready for release. I'm just looking for a few people to beta test installations, and sample mailings. If you wanna see a demo of what you are letting yourself in for please visit http://www.ace-installer.com/mailing/admin.php (login with admin/1234). That is a live example, so please don't be silly too much Wink (live to the point of it accessing a real SQL database, and emails/settings will be completed upon request.

If you are interested in Beta testing please email me at webmaster@ace-installer.com

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Anyone wanna test my mailing list script? In reply to
Should you not fix the bugs I found first Cool

Um do you also want everyone seeing your live database username and password?

Ugh and as it allows a remote connection you just left yourself wide open to hackers.

I just logged in using mysqlman from my desktop Unimpressed

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 8, 2002, 8:21 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Anyone wanna test my mailing list script? In reply to
As far as I can see they are not bugs...I don't know how you think you are getting the form to accept blank values...but I certainly can't get it to Tongue

As for seeing my live SQL info, it doesn't matter. The database has only mailing list info in it, so if they screw up anything it will only be that Wink If anoyone really finds a way to screw it up, then I'll have to cancel the 'live' part of it...lol.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>>The database has only mailing list info in it,<<

What about all the post nuke tables ;)
Quote Reply
Thats a demo I set up with PostNuke, but I decided not to upgrade cos the features didn't look much better ;) Nothing important about it.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, I've made it a little harder for you to see the password now (made it a *** field). Just to make you happy Paul...lol Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
OK.

Blush

Try entering false credentials. Your script is 'thinking out loud' and blurting out what the real credentials should be!!! Surely, this shouldn't happen:

Quote ...

Matching 1234 and some
Matching admin and hacker
Password/Username combination did not match. Please try again...

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Anyone wanna test my mailing list script? In reply to
That's a slightly big security hole I think you should patch up! Crazy

- wil
Quote Reply
Thats cos someone turned on debug Wink I'm turning if off now and stopping template/settings from being modified. I think people are just going to abuse it too much from the look of things Wink (Paul..lol)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hm. That really isn't debuging information though, is it?!

- wil
Quote Reply
They are fixed up now. That was really just development stuff I forgot to take out. I was seeing what info was passed along, and what was being compared.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Right.

- wil
Quote Reply
If you find any more bugs please let me know, I'm trying to fix it up. I'm quite impressed with it Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The cheek!

I find bugs and you say I'm imagining it, Wil gets thanked...meanie!
Quote Reply
Lol..I did thank you Wink Some of the bugs you reported didn't seem to make sense. I was getting it all working fine, and you were saying it would let you post blank values. I can't fix something where I dont know exactly what is going on Tongue (you of all people should know this).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
It's a bit basic, isn't it?

Where do I set up my mailing list? That's all I see is a plac to administer email address and/or names. How do I know what list am I updating? Multiple lists options?

- wil
Quote Reply
There is no unsubscribe option is there?

Why do you have subscribe on its own and then a delete page? why not add unsubscribe to the select list?

Hmm Readme gives a 404

Hmm Im not sure you can send 500 emails in 10 seconds ;) .....btw why does it say sending 500 emails?

It sent 3 and took about 30 seconds...eek

Last edited by:

RedRum: Mar 8, 2002, 9:24 AM
Quote Reply
Gawd..you lot are silly ;) I put the 'add' and 'delete' options on seperate functions to try and stop people getting confused with it all.

The readme is supposed to be at a 404..cos I havn't uploaded it yet, and dont intend to ;)

As for sending 500 emails in 10 seconds...that is COMPLETLY wrong! I think I need to reword. Basically, the script does its sending in batches. You can define how long to wait until the next batch is started (the idea being you give your server a little chance to catch up with the emails, whilst also stopping the script from timing out).

Wil, to add a user from a visitors point of view, please see http://www.ace-installer.com/...iling_list_page.html to submit an email address for addition or removal.

As for multi-mailing lists, that isn't there yet. Definatly something I'm going to add. Just wanna get the basics sorted out first, then I can move over to more advanced things Laugh

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk