Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Complex database and script requirements (Can you help?)

Quote Reply
Complex database and script requirements (Can you help?)
I would like to create a website similar to travelocity.com for the Southern African region. I would like to have a database and layout like theirs as well as provide itinaries for visitors. Interconnectivity with a secure site for credit card transactions for all orders would also be in order.

I need your quotations and ideas for this project and would like to get it on the go as soon as possible. Please direct all replies to scripting@webrite-zw.com with Custom Scripting in the subject line for all tenders.

Thankyou.

Regards
Mark Gilbert
Quote Reply
Re: Complex database and script requirements (Can you help?) In reply to

Quote:
I would probabably be more inclined to go with some kind of "proper" database driven site

Ack, I hope your not implying perl can't be used for a "proper" database driven site?! Dejanews is run off of perl you know?

Sorry, I just get a bit defensive with perl. Wink

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Oops, sorry Alex, sorry Perl!

I was just trying to get across that it *might* be a little easier and/or faster to go with something like php3 > MySQL or ASP on a large project like this. Of course it would all depend on the developer as well. If it was *me* I'd do it in perl, because that's what I know, but php3 has a the reputation of being very quick when used as an interface to MySQL. The fact that the only thing I've written in php3 is a five-line random splash page has absolutely no bearing on it whatsoever. That's my story and I'm sticking with it! Smile

"Proper" was probably a bad choice of words. I have great respect for Perl driven databases, one of my clients sites is driven almost entirely by a much-modified version of that well-known database written in Perl. Ohh, you know the one, dbSomething? Wossname? Written by a guy called Alan or Rex or something. Definitely something to do with spiders anyway!

I shall endeavour to think first and type second in future! Smile Mark, ask Alex to do it will ya for gawds sake? I'm feeling fierce quilty here altogether!

adam
Quote Reply
Mark,

This is *really* a place for discussion of CGI and Perl programming, although we do tend to wander off subject and no doubt some of them are drooling at the prospect of a hefty project like that. Probably the best place to advertise this is at cgi-resources:

http://www.cgi-resources.com/Jobs/

It *is* a hefty project though. I hope you're not just going to offer 10,000 banner ad views like most of the "employers" out there! Smile

Good luck with the project,
adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited April 13, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Gee, I never thought "employers" would only pay via banner exposures. That's harsh. Well no, I would never dream of doing that. I am genuinly looking for the right person to do this with the right results and I am determined to get started immediatly if the price is right. It is a large project but I am sure something can be done.

Regards
Mark Gilbert
Quote Reply
Mark,

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on the jobs section there and I've noticed that quite a lot of them do that. I guess some people wouldn't mind doing it that way, marketing is currency too, and arranging payment can be quite difficult on the internet, considering that everyone's a bit wary of each other.

I had a look at the travelocity site and it *is* a hefty project, which is why I advised you to drop in on cgi-resources. However, thinking about it now, with something as large as that, and such a large amount of interactivity, I would probabably be more inclined to go with some kind of "proper" database driven site, possibly using the php3 scripting language interfaced to MySQL or Active Server Pages (*spit* Smile). That's just my opinion though.

Personally, I'd love to take on a project like that, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not talented enough yet, I've got a big "L" sign on my back (or is it "P" in the States?). However, if you *do* decide to go with Perl, feel free to post here again if you need help with any of the small little bits and bobs that need tidying.

And good luck with it!

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
Yahoo.com is also running some Perl scripts, and making a pretty good $$$ out off it. Smile And, they use FreeBSD OS on their servers too. Wink

Regards,

Pasha

------------------
webmaster@find.virtualave.net
http://find.virtualave.net