Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Executing cgi from "scripts" directory instead of cgi-bin

Quote Reply
Executing cgi from "scripts" directory instead of cgi-bin
Alex,
I've noticed that most of your scripts are set up to run from a "scripts" directory instead of a "cgi-bin."
Is there a way to execute cgi programs from my "html" directory instead of the cgi-bin. I want to password protect a cgi script and all supporting files and only give access to certain individuals. I can't password protect my cgi-bin with .htaccess - and currently I'm unable to execute anything that isn't in the cgi-bin.

Is there a way to do this?

Quote Reply
Re: Executing cgi from "scripts" directory instead of cgi-bin In reply to
You can run cgi scripts from any directory on your server.
To protect your directories, you can use "File Manager", also by Gossamer Threads, Inc.

Pasha

[This message has been edited by Pasha (edited February 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Pasha,
Thanks for the input, however, I cannot do as you say.

I think that something has to be changed on my server. For example, tell it to execute files that end with .pl or .cgi that reside in the "html" directory. Currently, all I get is text. It's like the server doesn't know what to do with .pl files that aren't in the cgi directory so it just outputs the text. I'm pretty sure I can go in and modify my conf file in Apache but I'm not sure what to do yet.

Thanks anyway.
Quote Reply
It's probably not chmodded to properly, try to chmod it to 755 (rwx-r-xr-x). I mean *.cgi to 755 and *.pl to 755.

Hope this will help. Smile

Pasha

------------------
-[ It's just another night; good morning Webmasters! ]-
Quote Reply

[This message has been edited by Pasha (edited February 12, 1999).]