Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Linux
Ok, one of my mates told me it was possible to use Linux and run several other OS's from within it at the same time. Is that true? If so, I may try it. I want to have Linux connected to the net, and then whatever version of Windows will be able to access the Net via the Linux connection. Even if the net is not a possible thing, it would be easier to have linux controlling Windows, rather than having to set up several boot systems with a different version of Win on each one.

At the moment I am looking at keeping my working version of Win 98' on my C:, and then creating a partitioned F: drive, and then other partitions for each version of windows install.

Anyone got any feedback on this idea?

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Linux In reply to
You can't install an OS within an OS. I think you are confused. Secondly you'll be lucky to find software to communicate wth your modem for linux and thirdly MS don't let you install two of their OS's on one pc even in different partitions (some combinations may work)

Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Linux In reply to
Blush Ooop.

Are you sure you cant install several version of Windows on different partitions? I always thought you could. I seem to remember that we did it a couple of times at work (for testing purposes, as the software we write needs to be tested on win 95,98,2k and ME).

Anyone else got any ideas?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Linux In reply to
It is possible to install different versions of Windows on one and the same PC, as long as you use separate c:\ partitions. We use one PC with English, German and Japanese Win98 installations (wouldn't recommend it though, could be buggy if not properly installed).
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] Linux In reply to
You can't always install multiple versions as often it will say that you already have an OS installed and won't let you install another.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Linux In reply to
I had a few versions of windows running in RedHat with some software call VMware. You can find it at http://www.vmware.com. The OS doesn't run as fast as it would normally but it works. VMware runs on Linux and Windows NT/2000 and will run most OS's.

Regards,
Charlie