Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Looking for Photo Gallery Script___

Quote Reply
Looking for Photo Gallery Script___
Hi all!
I've been searching high & low for a script which is a photo gallery script. It must have the following features:

1/ Multiple gallery abaility
2/ Ability to build a tree of galleries (similar to Links)
3/ User creation of galleries
4/ Admin validation of user gallery (add to site/delete/modify)
5/ Different number of thumbnails in each gallery
6/ User upload for recognised contributors (maybe by .htaccess password which means upload script would need to be in it's own directory)
7/ Ability for thumbnails and/or photo to reside on our server, or externally (and a maximum limit on disk space if on our server!)
8/ Ideally template driven

Any ideas ? I've considered hacking Links and Fileman, but it seems like too much hard work if there's already a commercially available script. I tried looking at DBMan, but I haven't a clue about that one!

Any tips gratefully received Smile

Craig.

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport - www.Ten-Tenths.com/links/
Parc Ferme Magazine - www.Ten-Tenths.com/Parc_Ferme/
THE Directory - www.gardenbuildings.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Photo Gallery Script___ In reply to
I looked for the same thing. If you check cgi-resources.com and follow the links from some of the sites that offer image programs, etc, you'll bump into a few commercial programs -- none that do what you probably need, though (since I'd have probably remembered).

I've been slowly moving links into that direction, and moved to the SQL version so I would not out grow it, and would have somewhat unlimited flexiblity.

There have been several starts for image upload programs, and I'm nesting in to start adding image/file uploading to LinksSQL.

I'd be interested in working on a program like that, if there is enough interest. It's not a little program. It has many parts, starting with file upload (to a user specified directory with permissions) and automatic thumbnail generation and index building. Next is gallery format/design/layout and automatic updates.

If anyone really wants to get into this, I can set up a separate forum/area on my server to discuss this and work on code since it's not really a Links mod.

you can start here:
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/.../Perl/Image_Display/

It's a limited form of 'free home pages' and thumbnail galleries, and links manager. It's a really worthwhile thing to do, since it would file a real hole in the available programs.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Photo Gallery Script___ In reply to
pup, you have my interest but sadly I cannot give you any of my time Frown That's why i'm looking for a ready made script. I'd love to be kept informed if you did go out on your own though!

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport - www.Ten-Tenths.com/links/
Parc Ferme Magazine - www.Ten-Tenths.com/Parc_Ferme/
THE Directory - www.gardenbuildings.com/