Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Perl and Flash

Quote Reply
Perl and Flash
Has anyone got any experience with Perl and Flash? More specifically, taking a form input, passing the paramaters into a Perl script and then back into a Flash movie?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Perl and Flash In reply to
Use PHP's built in features for this Laugh

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=SWF&mode=all
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Perl and Flash In reply to
If you take a look at those modules, Paul, you will notice that those modules are used to write or create SWF files. That's not what I want. I want to simply pass variables to an existing Flash movie.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Perl and Flash In reply to
Hi Andy

Can you be a little bit more specific?

- wil
Quote Reply
I did take a look at the modules Wil. If you had been more specific it may have helped - "passing variables" doesn't explicitly state that you don't want to create the flash file in the first place.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If you take a look at those modules, Paul, you will notice that those modules are used to write or create SWF files. That's not what I want. I want to simply pass variables to an existing Flash movie.

Mmm...I didn't realise that. The best way to do this, is to create a SWF template file, and then have that script call the variables from a remote file (vars.txt). This is what my mate at http://www.canzine.com does with his flash templates.

Don't ask me technicalities, cos I don't know how to do it...I just know its possible Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ended up this was much easier than expected. I'll have something up for you to play with soon. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Perl and Flash In reply to
In Reply To:
Use PHP's built in features for this Laugh
Yeah - I would do that if I were you. Why are you using Perl? If it's just because you're really experienced with it, then you really SHOULD use PHP instead because:

1. I can show you how Wink
2. PHP greatly resembles Perl, so you'd pretty much know it right off the bat Tongue
3. Like Andy said, it has built in features for stuff like this.

I'm a Flashman myself! Smile Are you registered with any forums? Try http://www.submotion.com/subforum/. Not too big yet, but there's NO banners because it's privately funded. Pretty cool little forum.

So let me know if you want to learn it. I'll teach you some PHP myself. Got ICQ? MSN Messenger?

Later and gL,
Furry
Quote Reply
Re: [Fat_N_Furry] Perl and Flash In reply to
Quote:
PHP greatly resembles Perl

I have to agree entirely with this quote :) (erm the one below, not the one above)

Quote:
Target Appeal
PHP appeals greatly to Web-content designers who know HTML inside and out, but want to spice up their site--add a little database interface here, dash a standard "look and feel" template there. PHP also appeals to the person who want to abstract HTML design, from application design. If you want multifile applications that allow you to quickly and painlessly change one file without affecting (we hope) other pages in the application--PHP is your language du jour.

Perl, as far as Web applications go, apply to the more technically minded person, programmer, or power fiend. Perl's infinite extensibility and modular design make it incredibly popular among web application developers who want a single program (usually with a horde of included modules), or a couple programs, to be their application instead of the several hundred HTML pages that the same application might require if it was done in PHP.

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 11, 2002, 10:22 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Perl and Flash In reply to
Each to their own Paul Wink I like Perl...but far prefer PHP.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Fat_N_Furry] Perl and Flash In reply to
Hi

We're an agency with various people working on various skillsets. We *absolutely need* the ability to seperate content from code from html from flash. Therefore, Perl is our best bet. We can use a Template based system so that the HTML code never has to touch a line of code and the Perl programmer never has to touch a line of HTML. Not that any could do each others job to some level if needed; I just think it's best that folks stick to their specialized skillet. That's our setup and that's what works for us.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
And here's the result:

http://www.rachelsorganic.co.uk/ecards/

- wil