Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF"

Quote Reply
Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF"
I'm very new to Perl/CGI unfortuantely and have done C++ for some years so am probably trying to mix the two badly :)

I am trying to achieve the following :

if($submit eq "Preview")
{
$outputType="<<EOF";

output($outputType);

}

sub output {
($outputType, $outputTypeShort) = @_;

print"content-type: text/html\n\n";

print $outputType;
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Special Offer</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="specials.css">
</head>
<body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

EOF

}

I'm not sure if I'm passing the variable correctly etc, but what I am trying to achieve is to call a 'Function' Ouput which either prints to screen, prints to file, or does both. I was aiming to do this with 1 output function which took a parameter which either stored "<<EOF" or "OUT<<EOF" so that when I called print $outputType; it would print to the correct place. I presume I'm either doing something wrong or what I'm trying to do is completely impossible. I get the impression that its ok to call the variable to be printed out, e.g. print "$outputType"; but its not possible to do print $outputType; ....OUPUT_HERE.... EOF

I appreciate any help,

Thanks,
Stuart.
me@stu.uk.com
Quote Reply
Re: [-=Stu=-] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
Yup...your pretty confused with it Tongue

Code:
:

if($submit eq "Preview")
{
$outputType="<<EOF";

&output($outputType);

}

sub output {
Not sure about this part, I would use shift..where are you getting $outputTypeShort from?

print $outputType;
<html>
<head>
</head>

EOF

}

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
Mommmyy :)

I don't know what to do. I really need to get this working but am completely stuck. I thought if I called the 'funciton' using
output($outputType);

and then used

($outputType) = @_;

inside the function, this would take the passed variable and put in into $outputType inside the 'function'. Obviously not Mad, how do I pass $outputType into the function and call use it/reference it using $variable inside the funciton.

The main question I really have is whether doing print $outputType; when $outputType="<<EOF" is the same as doing print <<EOF; and should/would this work ?

Ignore $outputTypeShort for the minute, thats another variable which I may want to pass, but I could survive with only passing the one.

Thanks for your help,
Stuart.

In Reply To:
Yup...your pretty confused with it Tongue

Code:
:

if($submit eq "Preview")
{
$outputType="<<EOF";

&output($outputType);

}

sub output {
Not sure about this part, I would use shift..where are you getting $outputTypeShort from?

print $outputType;
<html>
<head>
</head>

EOF

}
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
>>
Yup...your pretty confused with it
<<

I guess you are too :)

&output($outputType);

.....the & isn't needed.
Quote Reply
Re: [-=Stu=-] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
Im not totally clear on what you want to do but is it something like ?:

Code:

output($outputType) if ($submit eq 'Preview');

sub output {
#--------------------------------------

my $type = shift;

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print $type;
}

?

....if you are wanting to write to a file then you need to open/close one :)

Last edited by:

Paul: May 8, 2002, 4:42 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
What I'm trying to do, ignoring the subroutine thing for the minute is set a variable $outputType to either "<<EOF" or "OUT<<EOF" so I can use them in the following way :

If I want to print to screen
$outputType="<<EOF"

print $outputType;
<html>
<body>

EOF

if I want ot print to file
$outputType="OUT<<EOF"

open(OUT,">output.html");

print $outputType;
<html>
<body>

EOF

Therefore if its possible to do the above with print $outputType; so that it alters where it outputs to, I can create the 'function' that accepts that as a parameter so I only have to write 1 output routine and this output routine writes to screen or file depending on what $outputType is set to when its passed to the routine.

What I suspected at the minute (ignoring the few typo's that I made above) is that it isn't possible to do print $outputType; so that CGI/Perl interprets that as being print <<EOF; or print OUT<<EOF; ?

Thanks for any help,
Stuart.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
In Reply To:
>>
Yup...your pretty confused with it
<<

I guess you are too :)

&output($outputType);

.....the & isn't needed.

But doesn't hurt?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
As mentioned a while back:

http://www.perldoc.com/...6.1/pod/perlsub.html

In this case it is optional.....so it wasn't something that needed correcting...
Quote Reply
Yes...but its something that SHOULD be corrected...otherwise you slip into bad habits Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>>Yes...but its something that SHOULD be corrected...otherwise you slip into bad habits <<

Huh?....its not a bad habit...read the perldoc page.
Quote Reply
What bad habbit? Unsure

Can you see me smoking behind my desk? ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Possible to do print $outputType; where $outputType="<<EOF" In reply to
Argh..there is no point trying to fight an unwinnable battle with Paul...he is obviously right Wink All I am saying is that its a good idea to get into using &'s in front of subroutines, as that is what every good Perl book, and tutorials on the Internet says to do! Not that I would know what I'm talking about of course Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Chill, Winston! :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Erm Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Post deleted by Wil In reply to

Last edited by:

Wil: May 8, 2002, 6:07 AM
Quote Reply
Stop arguing and help fix my problem Smile

Ok I've sorted of fixed it myself only need one more bit of advice. I have now decided to use ' select OUT; ' to output for files and then just continue using norm print <<EOF; ........ EOF.

My final question is how do alter select to change back from using ' select OUT; ' to outputing back to the default which is the screen ? I tried just doing select; but this just stop the script from running. I presume there is a specific select option to output to the screen ?

Thanks again,
Stuart.
Quote Reply
Im guessing it would be select(STDOUT);
Quote Reply
Last question, promise :) Everything is finall finished hehe. My last thing is probably extremly trivial. I have :

if($submitButton eq "Authorise Offer")
{

}

I want this to rename a file, and then make the browser to open the file. I think I have the rename bit sorted using :

rename $previewFile,$submitFile;

But how do I then say Open $submitFile etc ?

Thanks for all your help,
Stuart.
Quote Reply
http://www.perldoc.com/...1/pod/func/open.html
Quote Reply
Hi Paul

By the way... I was reading Programming Perl, 3rd edition last night and there's some info about this in it. It states when sub routines should be prepended with an & and where it is OK to do without.

I'll have to find the page number for you.. do you have that book?

I can't really remember much of what was discussed, but I remember it mentioning something about how @_ is passed to the sub routine in question, and how by calling a sub prepended with & made a difference to the scope of @_.

As I said, I'll try and find the page ref. for you tonight.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yep thats correct &sub() circumvents prototypes (ie it avoids them)

&sub makes @_ visible to the called subroutine.

But the & is optional if you use ()

NAME(LIST); # & is optional with parentheses.
NAME LIST; # Parentheses optional if predeclared/imported.
&NAME(LIST); # Circumvent prototypes.
&NAME; # Makes current @_ visible to called subroutine

Last edited by:

Paul: May 10, 2002, 1:54 AM
Quote Reply
Yep, it was something like that. The parenthesis is actually the important part.

- wil