Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Should I use Links 2.0 or DBMan as a core to build a large info/review site?

Quote Reply
Should I use Links 2.0 or DBMan as a core to build a large info/review site?
I'm not quite sure where to ask this question as I need to compare 2 different Gossamer scripts, so I apologise if this isn't the right place. It does involve adding extra Perl code though.

I've been looking for a very specific type of content management/news publishing script, but I have not been able to find anything that meets all my requirements "out of the box". I have therefore resigned myself to modifying something that contains a stable core and features that I can build upon.

I wish to create a site along the lines of Hotscripts in terms of functionality, but without the external links (if you can imagine that). Each entry will contain a summary of an item which links to at least one page containing further info (on the same site).

I also want visitors to be able to register and then rate and/or review items they have experience with.

Oh, and it must support a category/directory hierarchy at least 5 layers deep and build static, rather than dynamic, pages. @links would also be needed to allow alternate browsing paths.

Considering my limited (non-existent) budget, I'm considering using either Links 2.0 or DBMan as a starting point, which would hopefully give me the option to upgrade to a MySQL version if/when the site becomes large and popular enough to be capable of generating an income.

The question is, which script is likely to be the most suitable? (I'm assuming that the core of Links 2.0 is basically DBMan with a few extras.)
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] Should I use Links 2.0 or DBMan as a core to build a large info/review site? In reply to
Hotscripts is built with LINKS SQL (highly modified).

And for the type of functionality you seek, Links 2.0 would be better...however, if you expect tons and tons of records, then it would be better to go with LINKS SQL, and since you need to mod the script to fit your purposes, LINKS SQL is much easier with its built-in plugin system.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Should I use Links 2.0 or DBMan as a core to build a large info/review site? In reply to
Yes, I'd heard that Hotscripts used Links SQL, but I defintely can't afford that right now and it would be overkill for a while yet.

I was wondering whether I'd end up removing more code from Links than I would have to add to DBMan, considering it wouldn't use most of the actual link features.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] Should I use Links 2.0 or DBMan as a core to build a large info/review site? In reply to
Welp, you'd be adding WAY more code to DBMAN and basically, you'd be adding some codes to LINKS 2.0. But again, it really depends on the following:

1) Number of records you intend on storing in your "database" system.

2) Amount of traffic to your site.

3) Your hardware specs in terms of CPU, Memory, and available Disk Space.

4) Amount of interactivity in your site.

Identify these elements/variables and you will be better prepared to identify what application/script best suits your needs.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Should I use Links 2.0 or DBMan as a core to build a large info/review site? In reply to
Those questions aren't that easy to answer, but here goes...

1) Say 200 to 300 items for now, though I have no idea how many users and reviews would go with them. It could get as big as DMOZ, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Wink (I would have to go the MySQL route long before that of course).

2) Currently 300 unique visitors or 3500 page views per month, but the site isn't listed at many places yet. Actually it's only listed at one directory I know of.

3) 200 Mb of space with Perl, PHP and MySQL on the host. I have no idea what CPU or memory they have, but their servers are quick. I'll be developing it on a PII 300 MHz, with 64Mb RAM and about 1.5 Gb free drive space though.

4) Currently, none. I'd like to add much the same features as Hotscripts has, then introduce regular polls and maybe a simple game or puzzle. I might add a forum later when the traffic picks up (there are very few things sadder than a deserted forum).

The existing site has something like 300 pages or so, which were hand coded for the most part. That number could easily triple if I could automate the process some more (hence my questions).
Quote Reply
Well, if you plan on having MANY records or being a mini DMOZ, then using a flat file system wouldn't be very efficient. Also, using a TRUE relational database system (like MySQL, SQL Server, Postgres, etc.) would be better.

It would be a nightmare to maintain MANY records that are inter-connected or related. Keep in mind that flat file systems have limits (in terms of CPU usage, memory usage, and also disk space usage).

I am not saying that you can't create the your web site using a flat file system, but strategically speaking, if you expect the traffic to increase and also increase the amount of interactivity in your web site, then making your web system function efficiently and effectively for your web visitors should be important factors.

Trust me...it is a bit time consuming switching from a flat file system (even a packaged one like Links 2.0 and DBMAN) and upgraded it later to a SQL relational database system. If you expect the usage of your system to grow significantly, then using a SQL system off-the-bat would be better than hassaling with upgrading the system later on.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I can see your point, and ideally I would go for Links SQL from the outset, but the price tag is way beyond my current budget. I've already spent out on hosting and domain names with little chance of getting a return on that investment without adding another $450 to it.

I figure that Links 2.0 or DBMan are both likely to be more efficient than many of the freeware/shareware MySQL versions I've seen as most of them are badly written.

I don't know of any similar product that has been around as long, or which has attracted so many mod creators. I could at least be relatively certain that GT would still be around when I needed to upgrade, even if I would have to create a separate script to convert the text databases to MySQL tables.

It might even be possible to import them into a desktop program and export them to MySQL via ODBC.
Quote Reply
Upgrading the files to MySQL or another database storage application would not be the problem...re-coding the Perl codes to work with MySQl or another database storage application is the problem. It would be time-consuming to upgrade the code.

And that is why I would suggest using a SQL solution off the bat, and it doesn't have to be a GT product...there are plenty Perl and PHP scripts out there that would probably suit your needs. Yes, GT has produced a great suite of scripts that are high quality, but it's not the only player out there.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
The problem is that I'm looking for something that supports a category/directory hierarchy at least 5 layers deep and builds static pages.

Hosts generally limit the number of concurrent database connections a site uses, and it would be a waste of resources to build the pages dynamically in any case.

Articles and reviews won't show until I've approved them, so the content will only change once per day at most.

I've seen other scripts that support categories, and I've seen some that create static pages, but I haven't found anything that does both.

I've spent over a month looking at links publishing, CMS, web log and news publishing scripts in both Perl and PHP.

If you know of anything else that meets my needs, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could give me a URL. I have several dozen .zip files on my drive that I've unpacked and discarded already and I've run out of places to look.
Quote Reply
Well, based on all the features you've identified, Links 2.0 would be the better of the two scripts. Although bear in mind that the MODS you build in Links 2.0, the more time you'll have to spend upgrading them later on, if you choose to upgrade to LINKS SQL.

Good luck.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't certain. My main worry was that by removing/replacing some of the features I might break something.

I've modified scripts in the past, but not to this extent and it seems almost like replacing threads in a tapestry. I don't want the whole thing to unravel in a heap on the floor. Wink

Thanks for your help. At least I know I'm on the right track.
Quote Reply
Well, don't remove too much...since there are intrinsic elements that if you do hack them, the script will not work...but what to remove and not remove has been discussed many times in the LINKS 2.0 forums where I suggest you post further questions in, since this forum is for general Perl programming questions and discussions.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me