Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Upload & Email Multiple Files at once?

Quote Reply
Upload & Email Multiple Files at once?
Hi,

A web design client of mine owns a photo processing shop. He's got a Kodak digital processor that is networked to his office PC and he'd like to be able to offer an "Upload & Print" service from his website.

The problem relates to multiple image files. He has a standard service for the printing of 40 images and he'd like his customers to be able to drag & drop all 40 images into a form in one go; as opposed to having 40 separate [Browse ...] buttons on the form for each single image file (and therefore 40 mouse clicks, etc.)

I've seen some active x plugins that allow for multiple file uploads in one go, however they put the images on the webserver - and we want them attached to an email. (Maybe a script that can email the images off of the server once uploaded?)

Ideally a customer will visit, get to the upload form, complete their personal details, and then either select or drag & drop their 40 images into the form in one operation. The contents of the form will then be emailed to my client, including the file attachments.

Anyone seen anything like this, or know of a suitable perl package I could review?

Is multiple file uploads from a single field the preserve of Active X or limited by browser platform?

Could the images be Zip'd and attached as a single file via the form?

Any ideas or help appreciated

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Upload & Email Multiple Files at once? In reply to
I've had no luck finding a suitable solution that will email the files to my customer directly, so we're looking at the activeX browser plugin approach to put the image files on the server.

I've experimented with http://www.aurigma.com/Products/ImageUploader/ but would like to review alternative products to make sure we get the best one for the job.

I wondered if anyone knows of a similar product?

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
This could be simple enough, the first problem as far as I can understand is to create multiple file uploads and adding them to a directory (along with generation of HTML page to show images).

this could be done through:

http://viehland.org/...lbum2/ezwebalbum.cgi

Now, you can add radio buttons (to each image) and form tags to the page for each album's detailed (i.e. generated HTML page) or simply define the directory containing images for that album in a hidden field. (Here you need to customize the above script a bit). This form then could be submitted to your server, but before you submit you need to install Archive::Zip from CPAN.

Using Archive::Zip you can make zip of the specified directory or individual images and them e-mail it to anyone.

Let me know, if I have understood your problem correctly? or you are asking for something else?

thanks,

Zeshan.
Quote Reply
Re: [zeshan] Upload & Email Multiple Files at once? In reply to
Zeshan,

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about an 'album' type solution, but discounted it - a bit too complicated for what my client wants.

The key problem issue we're having is finding a way for his customers to upload multiple image files at once.

What I'm really looking for is similar or alternative ActiveX plugin's to Aurigma that work on the client-side and allow people to upload multiple image files at once from a single form. I have seen another company but can't remember their website address.

Thanks anyway :-)

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Hi,

Just to let you know, my client has been given a solution by his franchise operator.

They'll provide the upload facilities and ordering system, and he'll simply login and download his customers photo files for printing.

All's well that end's well Smile

All the best
Shaun