Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Use CGI/Perl to pull info from another computer??

Quote Reply
Use CGI/Perl to pull info from another computer??
Hey all,

I hope I am not beating an old subject here, but I am new to the forum, and perl/cgi as well. I have a question I was hoping some of you perl/cgi gurus could help me with, or at least steer me in the right direction....

The situation would be something like this. I have a computer that is set up as primarily a database for records (court records, planning ans zoning, property records, etc.). Now, I can easily create a web page that is a form that a visitor can fill out, entering in all kinds of information that would be used for querying this database. My problem is how do I go about, or what is the best way, to get that info over to the database, and then take the info the database returns and build a 'results' web page?

I just finished my first fully functional DBMan application. I had thought about simply using it for the Database, but the ones we are using are are composed of tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of records, and are already entered into these other db's. Is there a good perl/cgi interface script out here somewhere, or would this thing have to be tailor made to fit each application?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

Andrew