Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

WARNING--You are leaving this site

Quote Reply
WARNING--You are leaving this site
Hi.

I am working on a blog for my church that will be for children 6-14 years old.

I want to post games from http://miniclip.com in the blog and the games have embedded links to the game creators (or to MiniClip in some cases).

I know the web etiquette is not to have warnings or block outgoing links, but since the users of the blog will be children and since some of the games on the miniclip site are not for children, I need help.

Is there a way to prevent someone navigating away from the original site when they click a link in the flash game? For example is there a bit of code that prevents any outgoing links or redirects outgoing links to my blog's main page or back to the same page with the game on it etc.?

My second choice would be a pop-up warning that says something like, "You are leaving MySite.com be sure to ask your parents before go to any other page"

Thank everyone.

Last edited by:

curtgunz: Apr 16, 2008, 7:47 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [curtgunz] WARNING--You are leaving this site In reply to
Hi,

Something like this may help: http://www.gamedev.net/....asp?topic_id=391860

However, I **REALLY* don't recommend doing anything like that. The only time I can even think of a confirm button being any real uses to anyone, is a confirmation page - when they enter the site (and if not, then it redirects them to google or something)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] WARNING--You are leaving this site In reply to
Thank you for the reply Andy.

I too hate confirmations and pop-ups. However, since the target audience for the web site is 6-14 yr. olds I need to have the confirmation. I know that the whole thing is a touchy subject because it is abused so often on commercial web sites.

I looked through the post you listed above and those solutions work for form submissions and static links on a page.

I am trying to get the warning to come up when a child follows a link embedded in a Flash game.

So I think what I basically need is a way to do this:

When users (in this case a child) clicks ANYTHING that would leave the current page on "Example.com" it would run this type of test:

Is the new page in the domain of "Example.com"

If yes, go to that page;
If no, display, "You are about to leave Example.com please be sure that you ask your parents before leaving this site"

Thank you for taking a look.
Quote Reply
What you are trying for is what Myspace has accomplished, you need to go to miniclips and get permission to do this as it is most likely a violation of their terms of service.

For a small fee they can do it for you Wink
Send them an email they do provide custom games.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] WARNING--You are leaving this site In reply to
SandraR wrote:
What you are trying for is what Myspace has accomplished, you need to go to miniclips and get permission to do this as it is most likely a violation of their terms of service.

For a small fee they can do it for you Wink
Send them an email they do provide custom games.

SandraR,

That is a good point. I have checked and double checked their terms of service (this is a church website that I'm trying to do and I want to do everything above board).

MiniClip has a whole section of games available for web masters to put on their own third party sites for free.

They do prohibit any kind of "reverse engineering" to remove links or copyright (as they should for their intellectual property).

However, there is nothing in their terms of service to prevent a warning that a person is leaving the third party site (in this case mine) on which MiniClip games appear. In fact, I was carefully reading their whole site's terms of service and it would actually help them because my site users would be under 13 and MiniClip has a lot of disclaimers discouraging use by those under 13.

Also, I looked into "co-branding" some of the games. MiniClip is very reasonable (as those things go) but I am afraid even the few hundred dollars would be beyond the scope of the budget for this project.

So again, I am back to the original question of how to have a warning appear when someone leaves a page through a method other than a static text link.

Last edited by:

curtgunz: Apr 18, 2008, 12:59 PM
Quote Reply
Have you considered using your frame option?

Instead of a normal frame size, make it very wide and place a disclaimer "Not my Site, blah blah blah” with a click to remove frame and a click go back to site. In this way the visitor makes a conscious choice to leave your site and the unsafe blah blah that might be offered there.

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
Sandra,

That sounds like exactly what I need. Smile

How do I make it so that when I exit my site it exits to a frame (and when I navigate within my site it does not)?

I don't know the code to make a followed link automatically appear in a frame. Remember these are NOT

Code:
<a href="http://miniclip.com target="_cool_frame_Sandra_is_talking_about">Miniclip</a>
Crazy

They are links within a Flash game. So the "event" of leaving my website should trigger the message (and not just the "event" of leaving the current page).

I would not want it to say, "Not my Site, blah blah blah" when a user just went to another page within my domain.
Quote Reply
What version of Links are you using?

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
Sandra,

This is not from within Links.

I'm just trying to do this from my web site.
Wink

--Curt
Quote Reply
Sorry it took so long -- here is a script you can play with using the BIG frame theory.

Sandra Roussel
Quote Reply
Hi,

Here is the site I was talking about:

ChurchFun.com

It is up and running. I still don't have games on 'cause I still have not figured a good way to implement what I want to do. But, I am thinking about it still Crazy

Last edited by:

curtgunz: Jun 13, 2008, 5:26 PM