Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

WebServer Admin...

Quote Reply
WebServer Admin...
Hi. Just wanted to get a general review on different server management scripts. What do you use on your server to administer it, and how easy is it to use?

Features I'm looking for are;
  1. Ease of use
  2. Secure
  3. Enables disk quotas
  4. Easy to add new users
  5. Can set up a DNS server easily.
  6. And anything else that makes the job easier!

I already have WebMin installed, but that fell a quite a bit low of my expectations. Maybe I'm just being to hopeful that there is a better open source server management script around, but its worth a try Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] WebServer Admin... In reply to
Hi

I know what you mean that you need something that makes your life easy.

I currently run three different dedicated servers, running windoze and *nix.

The problem is that at this low level eg ip address you can't get many gui to help you.

At the moment I'm trying to get to grips with a new linux box running redhat/apache/mysql.

I'm also using webadmin and its great for writing the correct directives in the right place.Wink

All the features to run your server are there in webadmin you just have to find them. Like the password directive.Unsure

A cool book on apache and mod_perl admin is Apache by Peter Wainwright (Wrox ) (ISBN 1-861003-02-01)

Next up for me is using mod_perl

Dregs2

Quote Reply
Re: [dregs2] WebServer Admin... In reply to
You can't beat doing it manually, however Webmin is the best alternative I've found.

Infact Im going to install it on Mandrake in about 5 mins.

As you said, almost all features are there, you just need to know where to find 'em Angelic

Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] WebServer Admin... In reply to
Oh well, looks like WebMin will do then Wink There is just a few little things im trying to sort out at the moment. One of them is the quote stuff. I have 'quote' installed, but why i try and manage the quotas it says "No local filesystems can support quotas". Does anyone have any ideas on what i need to do to get this to work? Its quite a major part of the use for the server, as im going to be having at least 2 other people on it, which both need to have limits on (and possibly more when i upgrade to a faster server). The info on the module i have installed is;

Description The quota package contains system administration tools for monitoringand limiting users' and or groups' disk usage, per filesystem.Install quota if you want to monitor and/or limit user/group diskusage. Package quota Class System Environment/Base Version 3.00 Vendor Red Hat, Inc. Architecture i386 Installed 26/Dec/2001 10:14

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] WebServer Admin... In reply to
Never mind. Worked it out Smile I needed to enable it on the 'diskpartitions', and then i could set a users quota. Thanks anywayTongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk