Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

What's the best editor?

Quote Reply
What's the best editor?
Hey guys, I'm not a cgi programmer but I do have to make mods to scripts ocassionally. I've been using UltraEdit32 but I have a feeling that sometimes I still get cr and lf when trying to edit a script. So the question is, what should I be using?

Will

------------------
Will
Webmaster
FishHoo! Search index for Fishermen
http://www.fishhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best editor? In reply to
Fishoo! Excellent! Smile

Well, you'll probably get a ton of answers to a question like that, but when all is said and done, it's really up to what you feel comfortable with. I started out with Notepad, but I found it a little too basic, so now I use Wordpad. It's simple, but hey, it does the job.

One I've seen recommended for coders is EditPlus www.editplus.com/ . I downloaded it, and it does have some nice features such as highlighting different types of code (like stuff in quotes) and line numbering. That said, I haven't actually used it yet.

Call me old-fashioned... Smile

adam
Quote Reply
Thanks for complimenting FishHoo!

I find this all very confusing. From what I have read UltraEdit is supposed to be one of the best editors going and I saw another one called VEDIT recommended, so I downloaded it. I edited a small script with UE, uped it and get the dreaded 500. Made the same changes with VEDIT and it works perfectly. I'm still having a few very small problems with Links. Maybe I need to try VEDIT on them.

Question: What puts in the carriage returns and line feeds and how do you avoid it.

------------------
Will
Webmaster
FishHoo! Search index for Fishermen
http://www.fishhoo.com
Quote Reply
Must confess, I was commenting on the name and not the website. Smile

Anyway, you do realise that script have to be uploaded in ascii, not binary, yes? Probably...

Anyway, I decided I'd give this EditPlus a go after posting here, and it seems quite good. It also incorporates a browser (all it does is put it's own GUI on Explorer, like Neoplanet), so with a webserver and Perl installed you can flip backand forth between the script and the pages it generates in a flash, all from one app. Nice touch that. I'm gonna give it a go for a few days.

It's only a meg, so it might be worth a download...

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
I've been using EditPlus for a while now and the features I've found indispensible are:

1. Syntax coloring.
2. User Tools.

The user tools are especially neat. You can set it up so by pressing <ctrl> 1 it will run 'perl -c' on your program and check it for syntax errors.

As for:

Quote:
Question: What puts in the carriage returns and line feeds and how do you avoid it.

Look for an option like 'File Type' and switch it to Unix. In EditPlus this is in Document->File Format menu.

Cheers,

Alex

Quote Reply
I've had some emails about how to setup perl checking on Editplus. Here's what I did:

1. Go to Tools->Configure User Tools
2. Add and call it Perl (Compile)
3. For Command enter:
C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe -c

or wherever perl is installed.
4. For argument enter:
"$(FileDir)/$(FileName)"

with quotes.
5. For working directory:
$(FileDir)

and you should be set. I did the same thing again, without the -c so pressing ctrl-1 will compile the script and check for syntax errors, ctrl-2 will actually run it.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
You read my mind, Alex. Smile With all this talk about EditPlus, I finally picked up the newest version and registered it last night. I was unsure about how to add the compiler. Thanks much!

------------------
JPD