Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

please help

Quote Reply
please help
I've left 2 messages for the same problem now, and neither got the answer I needed. I'm using Links and when I edit a template and save it it works. The permissions and everything is installed correctly to my knowledge by my installer, webmaster@websiteresources.net.

However, although the templates save the rest of the site doesn't. This is NOT A CACHE PROBLEM. No matter how many times I click reload, build all or any other type of build it does not work.

It says the template has been saved, but then it doesn't change the site. I am so very very angry and it's been 2 days. I don't blame any thing on my installer and I love Links and the fast support. I'm angry because I spent more money to upgrade my server space just for this search engine and spent money on installation too.

No one I have talked to has given me the answer I needed. I know this letter is long, but I feel I must address everyone's previous "answers" to the problem.

I have reloaded several times, clicked build several times, shut off my computer and checked again several times, there are no errors in the script. There are no errors that ever appear in any thing. The templates save but the site doesn't change. The email add/modify/delete templates change and work though.

Example:
Search_results.html

I changed this page to the way I wanted it. I saved it. It saved correctly. I clicked build. No errors there. I searched a hundred times and it's still the same old site. At this point I will pay for advice, if some one can just fix the problem :-)

I've asked my installer as well and he sees nothing wrong. Am I understanding correctly that the template saves the rest of the site?

I'm on my hands and knees, can any one give me the answer that I need?

Tim Bauscher
webmaster@webpagetoday.com

the directory is on:
http://webpagetoday.com/dir/
Quote Reply
Re: please help In reply to
Hi!

I just access your site and the first thing is that you don't have the css file install.
You gonna need to put the file: links.css that cames with Links 2, in your directory.
I don't know if that's the problem.
Quote Reply
Ok. The links.css has been installed. But the templates still don't change the site. With the Links.css I do admit it looks better, but I must customize this. There are no errors that appear. Does any one out there know the answer to this problem? Permissions are set. The template saves, but when I click build nothing happens to the site. It's not a matter of reloading.

Tim Bauscher
webpagetoday.com
Quote Reply
I think it was just a quirk or some thing. But I clicked build one more time without even changing any CGI and the site changed! I'm jumping up and down with joy! Could it be that it didn't work without the links.css installed? Thank you very much for your help!

Tim Bauscher
webpagetoday.com
Quote Reply
Just out of curiosity, have you looked at the setting in links.cfg for using templates?

Code:
# Use Templates: instead of editing site_html.pl, you can edit regular html pages
# encoded with special <%links_tags%>. It's not as flexible as site_html.pl, but it
# may be easier.
$build_use_templates = 1;

If it is not set to 1, templates are not turned on.

I hope this helps.