Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

sql /php/classified (date)

Quote Reply
sql /php/classified (date)
Hi

I want to make classified-ad system with MS sql or mySql, together with php. I am new to both, but I am learning this at school. From what I can see, this should´t be to difficult. But I might have missed a problem with using this solution. Is there anything I should consider or think about before starting? Is there any downside?

Ant thoughts are welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: sql /php/classified (date) In reply to
Check out the following web sites:

www.mysql.com
www.php3.net

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Re: sql /php/classified (date) In reply to
First of all, use MySQL - the support in PHP is almost identical, but MySQL is used by more people, therefore getting help is easier. If you have a computer at home, install Apache, PHP and MySQL on it - it's very handy for testing and playing with things.

Start off with the tutorials and articles on www.phpbuilder.com and www.devshed.com . Play around with the simple stuff, and if you run into trouble, ask on www.phpbuilder.com/support/ . Keep copies of the PHP and MySQL manuals locally for reference, and READ them - they're pretty good manuals on the whole.

If you're into book-learnin' (doesn't suit everyone), you'd do well to read Professional PHP Programming - it comes highly recommended, and the author (Jesus M. Castagnetto) is a regular on the phpbuilder.com support forums, and a nice bloke to boot. For SQL information, The Practical Sql Handbook seems to be the most recommended.

Finally, if in doubt, ask. The phpbuilder.com forums are a real mish-mash - you get all sorts of questions - installation, coding, MySQL, image creation and anything else related to PHP. The people there are very helpful, but be warned - don't ask without trying to figure it out yourself first, by checking the manual and searching the forums and mailing lists.

It's a busy forum and we don't have time to answer questions that have been answered before. If you do ask, prepare yourself for a lot of very short replies with RTFM's sprinkled liberally throughout... Smile

Most of all though, have fun!

adam