Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Discussions :

Multiple returns for one field

Quote Reply
Multiple returns for one field
I was wondering if there's a way to set multiple searches for the same field. We have a database containing case numbers, dates, and results of a review of the case numbers. This is all working, one at a time, quite nicely in dbman, but I would like to have the user get more than one result if they choose. Can this be done? I searched the archives but didn't find exactly what I'm wanting. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [otto99] Multiple returns for one field In reply to
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. Are you using a custom search form where the users search within specific fields or using a keyword search form?

Have you by any chance looked in the DBMan FAQ ... linked in signature?

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Multiple returns for one field In reply to
Yes, I looked there, and the closest thing I can find is in the Search section, #83 (more about which below). However, I am learning this on the fly, so I may not have been clear about what I want. Let me try again.

I have a search box for a field called case_number. The user puts the number in and gets a response on the status of that case's review, and the date of the status change, if any. Now, this all works great if you enter one number at a time, and the grand potentates are pleased. However, I would like to add the ability to search more than one case number at a time, say 5 numbers are entered and 5 responses are generated, which would please the potentates even more, with obvious personal benefits. The FAQ item #83 confused me because that string has specific numbers for the search, and I'm not sure where the string goes anyway. Thank you for your assistance and patience with a rank noob.
Quote Reply
Re: [otto99] Multiple returns for one field In reply to
Try this and see if it works:

Search for A or B or E in a field

Question:

I have a field with 6 different possibilities: A, B, C, D, E, F.

How can I make a search where I can view all data corresponding to A or B or E in that field. So how can I search the db with an 'or' statement ?

Response:

Enter: A|B|E

in the search field on the form and check the ''Regular Expression'' checkbox. Or you can try adding a hidden field to your keyword search form:

<input type="hidden" name="re" value="on">

Otherwise also check out the DBMan FAQ thread called "Searching for Multiple Keywords" under searching.

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/