Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

.htaccess protection

Quote Reply
.htaccess protection
I've put all of my data files into a directory separate from the db.cgi script, and protected that directory with .htaccess. The only problem is, this measure does not prompt the user to login to the server if they want to view the database. Is it at all possible to use .htaccess and .htpasswd to protect the viewing of the database so that users have to login to the server before they can see the database?

(The real issue, here, is that I already have an enormous list of usernames and passwords in a .htpasswd file, and I don't want to have to re-enter all of that data in order to password protect the viewing of my database.)

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: .htaccess protection In reply to
This has been discussed before in the DBMAN Discussion Forum and there has been no real solution to your problem.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Is there a way to assign default permissions if the script doesn't find permissions settings in the .htpasswd file?
Quote Reply
Thank you for your help Eliot. I believe I have found a workable solution to this entire problem. The trick is that it requires the script to be run in two different directories AND it requires a regular cron job to copy the .db file from one directory to the .htaccess protected directory.

You can read the detailed version of this solution in my response to "gehman" in the topic "Server Authentication = No Userid" on this board.