Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

500 error

Quote Reply
500 error
I keep getting 500 errors. I have tried and checked everything numerous times including erasing and starting from scratch. I have included the settings for the cfg and cgi file below. Please help. Thanks in advance.

default.cfg file settings

# Please check the README file for full details on registration.
# =====================================================================

# File and URL's
# --------------------------------------------------------
# URL of the directory dbman resides in. No Trailing Slash Please.
$db_dir_url = "http://www.esh.net/cgi-bin/dbman";
# URL of dbman.
$db_script_url = $db_dir_url . "/db.cgi";
# Full Path and File name of the database file.
$db_file_name = $db_script_path . "/default.db";
# Full path and file name of the counter file.
$db_id_file_name = $db_script_path . "/default.count";
# Full path and file name of the authorization directory.
$auth_dir = $db_script_path . "/auth";
# Full path and file name of the password file.
$auth_pw_file = $db_script_path . "/default.pass";
# Full path and file name of the log file.
$auth_log_file = $db_script_path . "/default.log";
# Full path and file name of the html routines.
require $db_script_path . "/html.pl";

# Please check the README file for full details on registration.
# =====================================================================
db.cgi file settings

# If you run into problems, set $db_script_path to the full path
# to your directory.
$db_script_path = "/usr/people/clients/eshhouse/cgi-bin/dbman";

Quote Reply
Re: 500 error In reply to
The first things to look for when there are 500 errors are the following:

Are you sure you uploaded all files in ASCII mode?

Are you sure you have set the permissions correctly?

Are you sure you have the correct path to Perl in the first line of the db.cgi script?

(I'm sure you've checked all of these things already, but I have to ask. Smile )

You should probably not have to set the $db_script_path. It usually works without that.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi JPD,
Thank you for your help but as you guessed I have tried all that and checked everything with my server. I tried folowing your correspondenc with Moshe but there was a leap someplace in the last two messages and I couldn't figure out who did what to get his script to work. Did I miss something. If so please let me know. This is terrribly frustrating. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks. Smile
Quote Reply
Yeah. He sent me private mail and we got it figured out.

One of Moshe's problems was that he had the wrong permissions in his auth directory. The permission must be 777.

Another -- and probably the biggest problem -- was that he used something other than a plain, pure text editor to edit his files. You cannot use anything like "Write" or "Wordpad" to edit the files. "Notepad" will work for some files, but it won't accept the large files like db.cgi and html.pl. My suggestion is that you use either Programmer's File Editor (which is free) or EditPlus (which is $20 shareware). Links to both programs are on my tutorial page at http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/tutorial1.html .

Do either of these things apply? If not, I'll try to keep working with you. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi JPD,
I tried everything you suggested. Deleted everything started from scratch and edited using PFE. Transfered each file individually in ASCII and set and checked all permissions. And I still get .. wait for it ... internal server error 500. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks. Marct
Quote Reply
Arrrggghhhhh!!!! Smile

These things are so frustrating.

You did check to be sure that your path to Perl was correct in the db.cgi file, right? (clutching at straws)

Have you run other cgi scripts on this server before?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Furstrating to say the least. Yes I did check the path to perl. Although I have installed 3 other scripts on this server the last 3 that I have attempted to install (dbman, webadverts and go2it) have all had this 500 error problem. So I am coming around to thinking that there is a problem with CUTE FTP or my web host is not revealing all. I'm checking into this now and will keep you posted - assuming you may be interested. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Oh, yes. I am definitely interested. It really helps me if I can find as many of the little quirks as possible for when other people come up with the same problem. Besides, once I start with something, I like to finish. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I too would be interested as I have the same error when installing it in my cgi-bin. Try it and see by all means!
http://www.dwrace.org.uk/cgi-bin/dbman

------------------
Colin Mackinlay
Quote Reply
You might check with your server administrator and make sure he/she has installed the most recent version of Perl. It must include the Local.pm module. That's about the only other thing I can think of.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Sorry for the delay in getting back but I had to go out of town for a little while. I finally solved it. The biggest problem appeared to be CUTE FTP. It was not tranferring the files completely and I needed to use the resume command several times. But using this command caused problems in the script. So I switched over to WSFTP and it worked fine in tranferring the files. I am never again using Cute FTP to transfer files. Another thing that I believe helped was the use of the PFE text editor which you suggested.

Thank you again for all your help. Keep up the good work. It is appreciated.

Marc
Quote Reply
Thanks for getting back to me with this. I was curious. I'm really pleased that you got it working. If you have any questions about how to make it do what you want, don't hesitate to ask.

------------------
JPD