Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

ACL/SRL denies write access

Quote Reply
ACL/SRL denies write access
I'm just getting DBMan installed to check it out and demo it for my Boss on Monday...

We use pacbell.net for our hosting at this time. We are on a Solaris Unix system that uses VDE... and I understand from their support staff (at least one I talked to) that the permissions are "automatic" and can't be set..... Does anyone know what I need to do to get around this? I do have shell access via telnet but can't chmod anything! It tells me it's not "necessary"

Anyway, after install and messing around a bit, I turned on debug and get the following with the Login Screen: [removed by request]

Thanks for your help!!! I need to get this going by Monday!
Lynette
Hollister, Ca

Last edited by:

Alex: Aug 5, 2003, 3:52 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ltillner] ACL/SRL denies write access In reply to
I can tell you what is happening, but not much on fixing it.

The first error message you get is not really an error message, it is just the debug information. If you turn off debug that will go away.

The second error message you get really is an error (ACL/SRL denies write accessScript ). This is because the AUTH directory keeps track of the logged in users and you don't have permission to write to that directory.

Try this for troubleshooting. Set the dbman permissions to default user (no authentication) and see if dbman works, if so try adding a record and see if you get the "write denied" error. I bet you will. If it lets you add records then you know it will let you write to a file but not to a directory perhaps there is someway around this?

Do a search on "write denied" or "denies write" or search for ACL (ackles) because I know others have run into this problem before, it may take some digging around (pay attention to your search parameters) and also check out LoisC's unofficial FAQ (see any of her post for the URL).

Good luck!

Ps: if you get down to it, and it's really necessary contact Gossamer-Threads about hosting the db for you. Of course, they'd probably recommond the SQL version.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] ACL/SRL denies write access In reply to
Thank you for your help. With a couple more calls to my ISP support, I was able to get it going. Their interface uses a very strange way to set CGI permissions and you can't set the permissions AT ALL if you don't use that interface. SO--- now I have a working usable DB and even have my fields in it. Very Cool. Wish I had see this a long time ago! So simple once you understand how to implement on your Web Host!
Lynette
Hollister, Ca