Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Account Creation with Multiple Databases

Quote Reply
Account Creation with Multiple Databases
Hi from snowy Tennessee,

I am trying to do a registry of churches with a number of seperate db's. (Seperate ones will make the data much more useable and may speed things up, too.)

Folks (default users) will normally log on to their "region's database" to browse *before* wanting to create an account.

From the Main Menu screen of a specific "already loaded" db, how can a new user create a new account for that particular database only?

Does this require a seperate html.pl file for each DB in order to have the correct link to the corresponding "loaded" db (from the Main Menu)?

How could I link to the "create account screen" at this point for those who yet have no account?

learning much, thanks for all,

Carolynn
Quote Reply
Re: Account Creation with Multiple Databases In reply to
Greetings from damp Seattle! Smile

I think you would just need to have separate password files for each database. You could still use the same html.pl file, but you would also have to have (naturally) different .cfg files. Also, it might be a good idea to have separate auth directories, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

Also, you probably would not want to have a database called "default." (You probably hadn't intended to, but I thought I'd cover all the bases. Smile )

How to link from the Main Menu to the login screen? Use
<a href="$db_script_url?db=$db_setup">

How to link to the create account screen from the Main Menu? Use
<a href="$db_script_url?db=$db_setup&signup_form=1">

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Wow, this has got to be best tech support on the planet.

Can't wait to work on this.

So....after a long lifetime of service to others, I think I see the words on your "marker."

-- Yes, that is definitely possible --

Thanks for all the "can do" inspiration and self-less example of virtue, Alex and JPD!

Carolynn in TN
Quote Reply
LOL!!!!

It just happened that I came by at the same time you were here. Besides, I haven't had too much on my plate recently, so I just hang around here. Smile Looks like I'll be backing off for a bit, though, as I've got several new projects that have just come in.

Since I'm just a very satisfied DBMan user who learned about it by doing my own tweaking. Soon you, too, will be able to say to someone, "yes, that is definitely possible!" Smile

------------------
JPD