Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Add Function returns me to main menu??

Quote Reply
Add Function returns me to main menu??
Hi -

Just finished reviewing the posts here - I don't see a similar issue

Whenever I add a new record, the software takes me back to the main menu - no error, but nothing has been added to my database.
I'm using windows xp - locking is OFF
the key name has been set to ACR_Number and is 7 digits long

any ideas?

%db_def = (
ACR_Number => [0, 'numer', 7, 7, 1, '9999999',''],
REP_Last_Name => [1, 'alpha', 20, 20, 1, '', ''],
Date => [2, 'date', 12, 15, 1, &get_date, ''],
Payee => [3, 'alpha', 50, 50, 1, '', ''],
Account => [4, 'alpha', 0, 255, 1, '', ''],
Description => [5, 'alpha', '40x3', 500, 0, '', ''],
Dollar_Value=> [6, 'numer', 5, 5, 1, '99999', '99999']

);
# The column name for the database key. Can be any column, but it must be unique!
# You can't have two records with the same key value!
$db_key = 'ACR_Number';
Quote Reply
Re: [schafferm] Add Function returns me to main menu?? In reply to
Have you made any changes at all to the script? Added any mods? Done anything other than setting up your fields?

Off the top of my head, I would guess that you may have changed something in the html.pl file so that the command to add the record isn't being sent to the script. Check to see if you changed anything in the submit button in sub html_add_form. Somewhere in that subroutine you have to have an input field (usually the submit button) that has the name of add_record and a value of anything except 0 for the script to recognize the command.

The best way I know to troubleshoot is to start from scratch. Save the files you have somewhere, and then reinstall the script. Run everything once with the default fields to make sure everything works. Then add your fields to the .cfg file and use the autogenerate feature. Again, try everything to make sure it all works. Then gradually make changes so the script looks and acts like you want it to, testing everything every time you make a change. It's a long and boring process, but it's the only way to figure out what addition is the cause of any problems you encounter.

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] Add Function returns me to main menu?? In reply to
JPDenni

Well - I started from scratch - it would seem as though I am unable to add/modify my ascii db files or password files -which leads me to believe this is a permission issue - I am running windows xp, with my data file in the cgi-bin directory - I've ensured that the file's are NOT read only - is there some sort of permission that needs to be done in windows?

Michael
Quote Reply
I hope that someone else will be able to help with the Windows issue. I have no experience with it. I wish I could help you. At least you know where the issue is, though.

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Are you doing this on your "local" machine? My dbman works fine on an XP workstation (running Xitami as web server). But I do encounter "write" issues when trying to run the script on the "real" webserver on the network (it's running on windows 2000) and that is due to a permissions setting (I don't have permission).

Check and make sure your db config file isn't set to something wacky (ie, make sure anyone can modify/add records, etc.).

That's about as helpful as I can get... sorry.