Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Again: Permissions

Quote Reply
Again: Permissions
Hello,

I'm sorry to post that topic for another time, but I can't get through the authentication mode.
I want to allow users to view all the records and registered users eventually to view their own (maybe later).
Now when I turn to *no* authentication, I can login from the main page but no one - even not me with admin-rights - is allowed to view the records. Each time I'm trying, I've got to fill out the Login-Form again and again and ...
Here's my configuration:
-----------------------
$auth_no_authentication = 0;
$auth_logging = 1;
$auth_allow_default = 1;
@auth_default_permissions = (1,0,0,0,0);
$auth_signup = 1;
@auth_signup_permissions = (1,0,0,0,0);
$auth_modify_own = 0;
$auth_view_own = 0;
$auth_user_field = -1;
-----------------------
It would be great if you could help me - and please don't worry 'bout my english ...
CU, Steps

Quote Reply
Re: Again: Permissions In reply to
This is not a problem with permissions, if you keep getting the login screen.

On the login screen, do you get a message:
invalid/expired user session?

If so, is your site hosted by 9netave?

If so, in auth.pl, sub auth_cleanup, change

if ((stat("$auth_dir/$file"))[9] + $auth_time < time) {

to

if (((stat("$auth_dir/$file"))[9] + $auth_time + 28800) < time) {

(The server at 9netave has the time set strangely.)

If this isn't your problem, we'll have to do a lot more looking.

JPD
Quote Reply
Thank you JPDeni,
the server is located somewhere in Germany. I changed the lines in the auth.pl, but it didn't change the procedure.
So long, I'll keep looking for ... some other questions ;-)

CU, Steps.

Quote Reply
I can't tell from your response whether you got the problem fixed or not.

If you didn't, on the login screen, do you get a message:
invalid/expired user session?

JPD
Quote Reply
Hey JPDeni,

Sorry for the mess. I got the message <invalid/expires user session> *sometimes*, but I can't realize when or why. Now it doesn't appear anymore - and the problem still exists.
If I put the authentication on 1, everybody can view/search the records, but no one can login. Otherwise, if I put the authentication on 0, registered users can login, but no one is allowed to view; funny enaugh, modifying etc. works ...
Actually I don't really understand the codes ... that's why I wrote this (yesterday - for me). The Server is hosted by a german company called XODOX, but I guess it hasn't got anythingto do with the problem (perl v. 5.x works). I still would like to transfer the files to the ad-free british server -> mycgiserver.com. Do you know any common problems with this?
Finally, for the moment I can live with the configuration of *my* DBMan, but I'd like to offer all capabilities like the login area ...

CU, Steps

Quote Reply
One problem that I remember hearing about with changing servers is that if the new server host uses a different method of crypting then it could harm your password file.

It may be necessary to re-enter all your usernames. Here's some info from a previous thread:

Someone had changed servers and was then unable to login using their password file.

Solution provided by Alex:
It's different crypt() functions. Do this:

1. Erase all entries in the password file.
2. Set $auth_allow_default = 1;
3. Set @auth_default_permissions = (1,1,1,1,1);
4. Go to db.cgi?uid=default
5. Go to admin and add your own users.

That should be it! Reset the authentication back to what you want when you are done.