Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Another 500 error

Quote Reply
Another 500 error
I am receiving a 500 Internal Server Error. Although, I am not totally new to installing scripts I am having difficultly with this script on my server.

here is my db.cgi http://www.homeeducationcentral.com/db.txt
and here is my default.cfg http://www.homeeducationcentral.com/default.txt
I have upload and checked my chmod settings over and over again. I have checked my server's perl path. I have uploaded the files many times over to be sure I upload in ascii. The current $db_dir_url is = "/virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman but I have also tried http://www.homeeducationcentral.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi
I have been able to get this script to work on another server http://www.webhooligans.com/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi. So I know I am not totally hopeless. I have been working at this all day and it's terrribly frustrating. Any ideas? Thanks.

Michadia

Quote Reply
Re: Another 500 error In reply to
If this is any help I ran the db.cgi through perl syntax checker and here is the response I received
/^[\A-Za-z0-9]+\.\d+$/: Unrecognized escape \A in character class passed through at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 103.
Name "main::db_script_link_url" used only once: possible typo at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 84.
Name "main::auth_no_authentication" used only once: possible typo at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 77.
Name "main::db_max_hits" used only once: possible typo at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 363.
Name "main::auth_signup_permissions" used only once: possible typo at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 705.
Name "main::db_bold" used only once: possible typo at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 522.
Name "main::db_not_null" used only once: possible typo at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 792.
Name "main::auth_view_own" used only once: possible typo at /virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi line 369.
/virtualhosts/homeeducationcentral.com/www/cgi-bin/dbman/db.cgi syntax OK

Quote Reply
Me again posting to myself. I am posting the conclusion to my problem just in case anyone else is having similar problems.

I removed everything from the server. Decompressed the files a second time. Configured the db.cgi to point to the proper path to perl. Configured the default.cfg file with the location of the dbman on my site. I made sure to check the save as unix in the pfe file editor I was using.
I added a .txt extension to all the files to ensure that they were uploaded as ascii files. Instead of creating a dbman file in my cgi-bin I loaded the files directly to my cgi-bin. I then removed the .txt extension off of the files and set the permissions. Did anyone else notice that in the README file that comes with dbman that the permission for the db.cgi is (755) -rwxr--r-- RWXR--R-- does not equal 755 shouldn't this permission be RWXR-WR_W? I could be wrong.
Whew! This was quite an experience.

Quote Reply
Hi Michadia, db.cgi should be set to 0755 - I believe I saw someone else post recently about the discrepancy in the readme.txt file too. Hope you've been able to get your database started.

Quote Reply
Check your auth.pl file and delete any blank lines in the begining of the script. For some reason I have to do this on my server every time.

Quote Reply
Yes, after 24 hours I was finally able to get the database working. I am not certain which change in particular made the difference, but I am a happy camper. Now I have begun the arduous task of trying to create a database and fit it into the design of the site.

Michadia

Quote Reply
Dan,
During one of the billion times that I uploaded the files I did receive a warning of a bare line feed in one of the files and I had to delete a couple of blank lines I had inadvertently added to the script. I am glad to know I wasn't the only one with this problem.

Michadia