Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Another dumb question! :D

Quote Reply
Another dumb question! :D
Ok folks... I am slowly getting the hang of this. However, one small issue. I have a field for age in my database form. This is the code in the default.cfg:

Code:
Age => [3, 'numer', 3, 3, 1, '', ''],

The problem is that I want it to accept ONLY numerical characters and not alpha characters. Unfortunately, it is not doing that. What am I doing wrong?

Ziggy
Quote Reply
Re: Another dumb question! :D In reply to
I think it'll work if you try

Code:
Age => [3, 'numer', 3, 3, 1, '', '[\d+]'],

The regular expression means "one or more digits." If you wanted to make the field optional, use

Code:
'[\d*]'

Now, I am new to regular expressions, so somebody might come along and tell me I've made an error. But that's what my book says. Smile

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
As usual, JPD... you are right on the money. The [/d+] worked perfectly.

Thanks for all your help in this matter! My database is up and running and looking great!!

Ziggy
Quote Reply
Excellent!!! Ain't it great when it all works?! Smile

Now that you're an expert, I expect to see you here answering questions from the newbies! Wink

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
I am more than willing to do so!! =) BUT... one last silly little question:

I would like to have the number of apps submitted listed below the Permissions in the main menu, if the login has modify rights. Something like this:

"There have been XXX apps submitted to date."

I was thinking maybe I could use a line like:

Code:
|;
if ($per_mod) {
print qq|
<p><$font>
There have been <b>$db_total_hits</b> applications submitted as of today.</font>|;
}

do you think that would work?
Quote Reply
actually, I tried it and it DOES print the text... but no numbers are listed. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
You want to know how many records are in the database at a given time?

There's something on the forum about it from a while back, but I couldn't find it and the search doesn't seem to be working.

Seems to me that Alex had a solution, which was something like this:

Code:
$count = 0;
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error unable to open database: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
if ($db_use_flock) { flock(DB, 1); }
LINE: while (<DB> ) {
(/^#/) and next LINE; # Skip comment Lines.
(/^\s*$/) and next LINE; # Skip blank lines.
++$count;
}
close DB;

(Gee, I hope this is right! Smile )

When you go to print out the results, you would say

Code:
|;
if ($per_mod) {
print qq|
<p><$font>
There have been <b>$count</b> applications
submitted as of today.</font>|;
}

But that is not necessarily the number that have been submitted. Deleted records wouldn't be counted.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply

Quote:
Age => [3, 'numer', 3, 3, 1, '', '[\d+]'],

Actually, you should use '^\d+$' as the regular expression. You don't need the [ and ] as there is only one item in your class, and you should put the anchor tags ^ and $ so that a user can enter in only numbers, otherwise he can enter in numbers and characters.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Quick Question?:
Where should i put this script addon?

|;if ($per_mod) {print qq|<p><$font>There have been <b>$count</b> applicationssubmitted as of today.</font>|;}

And how can i call it from web page so it only dispays "there have been (number)application submitted. as of today,
[the actual code that have to be inserted to web page outside of database]
------------------------------------
Alex pointed that ('^\d+$')will dispay only numbers but how about if I want only
5-NUMBERS (ZIPCODE):
should i do ('^\d+$5') or ('^\d+5')

Thanks.
P.S. Alex it's a great program,thank you all for help.
Quote Reply
The "there have been x number of entries added" sort of thing would have to be within the database, probably on the html_home page. Unless you wrote a separate script and called it with an SSI on your static page. I don't "do" SSIs, so I can't help you with it, I'm afraid.

If you want people to enter exactly 5 numbers, set the maximum field length for the field to 5 and set the regular expression to '^d{5}'. That will allow only five characters, but will also require that the entry starts with 5 digits. Voila! A five-digit zip code.

------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited May 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
JPD.
IT DOES ONLY ACCEPT DIGITS
BUT ALSO WORKS WITH NUMBERS GRATER THAN 5
NOT SPECIFICLY WITH 5
'^\D{5}'
Quote Reply
Not if you set the maximum length to 5.

In the .cfg file, this would be set up like

ZipCode => [0, 'numer', 5, 5, 1, '', '^d{5}'],

(Of course, your field number would probably be different and you can choose whether or not the field would be null.)

It also would be a good idea, if you're not using autogenerate, to set your field up like

<input type="text" name="ZipCode" value="$rec{'ZipCode'}" size=5 maxlength="5">

Then, not only will the script not accept anything longer than 5 digits, but a user can only enter 5 digits in the field.

I am assuming that when you said

Quote:
BUT ALSO WORKS WITH NUMBERS GRATER THAN 5

you meant numbers greater than 5 digits (greater than 99999).

You are right that ^d{5} requires that the string starts with at least 5 digits, but setting the maxlength in the .cfg file allows no more than 5 characters. At least 5 and no more than 5 means exactly 5.

I guess I did forget to mention that setting the maxlength was in the .cfg file. Sorry 'bout that.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
THAT'S IT tHANKS JPD.