Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Authentication problems

Quote Reply
Authentication problems
Dear All

I have just set up dbman with the default settings and all works fine (Solaris 2.6 and Apache-Frontpage web server.). I now wish to modify the logon settings slightly, that is allow anyone to view the db file without logging on. I have set the following:

$auth_no_authenticaion = 0;
$auth_allow_default = 1;
@auth_default_permissions = (1,0,0,0,0);
$auth_modify_own = 0;
$auth_view_own = 0;

However I am still asked to log on?

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA, Brian
Quote Reply
Re: Authentication problems In reply to
You need to change the URL you use to access the database.

If normally you would use
http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi

use
http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default

If your .cfg file is named anything but default.cfg, change the default part of that to match your file name.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks for that tip JP

I made this change to the call however I am still presented with a permissions info page. What I am trying to do is set up a call so that a user goes straight to an empty search form. I appended to the call:

?uid=default&view_records=1

but this gives 'Search Failed. There were problems with the search...'

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help, Brian
Quote Reply
If you want the search form to come up, you need to use

http://www.server.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&view_search=1

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thanks JP

All working well - I am very impressed with this program and the help you have supplied :-)

dbman is running on our isp (solaris/apache), however I wish to have a real play around 'in-house' using NT4/SP4/IIS4. I have had a look through your support forum and see that it can be done. However I could do with some helpful tips!

I am not an expert, but I do have perl 5.005 working on my machine OK i.e. I can print %ENV.

To date I have:
1] tried running db.cgi but get the message '%1 is not a valid NT application'
2] then changed db.cgi to db.pl. When I call the program I now get as far as the login screen.
3] I have altered the $db_script_path in db.pl to c:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\cgi-bin\\dbman
4] I have altered all the required paths in default.cfg e.g. $db_file_name to $db_script_path . "\\default.db"

The message I get after filling in the username/passwd is as follows (/auth is allowed to run programs/scripts):

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : unable to open auth file: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin\dbman\auth\. Reason: Permission denied

Script Location : C:\InetPub\wwwroot\cgi-bin\dbman\db.pl
Perl Version : 5.00503
Setup File : default.cfg
Session ID : admin.92808654663437

Hope you can help. Best regards, Brian
Quote Reply
Try changing the \\ to / I understand Perl will work just fine that way.

I will admit that you're into an area I know little about. In fact, the only thing I know about servers and NT and that sort of stuff is what I've picked up here on the forum. Possibly someone else will have some ideas.

------------------
JPD