Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Auto_generate forms... please clarify...

Quote Reply
Auto_generate forms... please clarify...
Has anyone played around with the auto-generate forms feature? What exactly does it do, and how well does it do it?

This is what I think it does. Please, someone tell me if I've got it right:

I started off with a properly working default version of DBman. Next, I configure my own desired fields in the .cfg file, including the select-options I want in my various <select> fields.

Question (1) Am I right in understanding that I don't need to mess with the html.pl file at all, if I enable $db_auto_generate?

Question (2) When auto_generate does its stuff, does it alter the html.pl file, or does it just generate the forms every time you run DBman, without altering sub html_record_form and sub html_record?

The above may be dumb questions, I don't know. I'm a bit new to Perl.

Much appreciated!
A

[This message has been edited by Alan33 (edited April 25, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: Auto_generate forms... please clarify... In reply to
Yes, you are correct in your understanding that you do not need to mess with the html.pl file if you use the autogenerate feature. The forms and displays that autogenerate creates are the most basic kind, but the database is completely useable.

If you have the autogenerate feature turned on, whenever the script needs a form or display of results, it generates what's needed based on the field definition in the .cfg file.

It is best to turn the autogenerate feature on when you are first setting up your configuration so you can see if the fields are set up as you want them. At that point, you can also see if you want anything fancier with the forms and displays. If you do, then you can mess with the html.pl file and get things looking like you want them.

I hope this helps. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Carol,
Thanks agin for the help. So does the auto_generate function actually re-write the form-producing subs in html.pl?

thanks
Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan33 (edited April 25, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Sorry.

No, it does not change html.pl at all. It just builds a form or display based on your .cfg file.

------------------
JPD