Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Block record numbers

Quote Reply
Block record numbers
Can anyone tell me?

I want to keep the ID field as the unique identifier. However, I want to be able to assign blocks of numbers (using the ID) to specific subject Types:

1 to 20 = aaaaa type
21 - 300 = bbbbb type
301 - 900 = ccccc type

The type will obviously be a select field. But how do I get dbman to assign the next logical number from the relevant range based on the type selected.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Re: Block record numbers In reply to
I suppose you could have 3 .count files, but this would be a major modification to the script and would take a lot of "pondering" time to come up with.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
You might also want to try and explain what you are trying to do as there might be a better way..

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
sorry my explanation was not very clear.

my database has 6 levels of items

i want to assign each level its own block of id numbers (record numbers). how can i do this when the id number is sequential and i will be entering the various items irregularly.

i am sorry i dont know how to explain this any better.

maybe i should just give up on the idea.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
sorry my explanation was not very clear.

my database has 6 levels of items

i want to assign each level its own block of id numbers (record numbers). how can i do this when the id number is sequential and i will be entering the various items irregularly.

i am sorry i dont know how to explain this any better.

maybe i should just give up on the idea.

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
ok here is maybe a better attempt to explain what i want to do:

if item type = aaaa then assign next logical number from series between 1 and 100

if item type = bbbb then assign next logical number from series between 101 and 200.

etc.

does this make sense?

------------------
cybergaz
Quote Reply
Sorry, what I meant to ask is, why do you want to divide the ID number in blocks of 100? The only purpose of the ID number should be to differentiate between records.

You might want to just add another fields called BlockNumber that does the job you are looking for..

Cheers,

Alex