Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Bunch of Can Questions

Quote Reply
Bunch of Can Questions
Bunch of Can questions (please include hows in reply). We are considering using dbman to maintain a "membership" database for a non-profit org I just took over.

Can dbman place "join" requests (new records) on hold until they have been reviewed by an administrator?

Can dbman send an e-mail once that record has been approved by an administrator (custom message of couse)?

Can dbman auto delete any record not approved or does this have to be done manually?

I see that dbman can be set to allow users to view and edit only their record (which is what I would need). Other than setting the $auth_* items, what else needs to be done so that users can access their record and only their record?

Can users change their password?

I want a one step signup that allows the user to pick their username/password combo, fill in the information required by us, then be redirected to a "thank you, you'll be notified shortly" type page. Can and how?

Finally, though this is non-profit use, I would be willing to accept bids and pay if someone wants to setup these customizations for me and zip off a set of files ready to go (just needing to be uploaded, chmod'd, etc.). Please send bids to sahammondsr@prodigy.net (I will reply with the database fields that we need and a more detailed description of what we are trying to accomplish here).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Bunch of Can Questions In reply to

Quote:
Can dbman place "join" requests (new records) on hold until they have been reviewed by an administrator?

I'm sure they can. How to do it would depend on what you want people to be able to do before and after the requests have been reviewed.

Quote:
Can dbman send an e-mail once that record has been approved by an administrator (custom message of couse)?

Yes. I don't have time to go into it right now (we're taking my mother-in-law to dinner for Mother's Day Smile ), but it is definitely possible.

Quote:
Can dbman auto delete any record not approved or does this have to be done manually?

How would you want the automatic deletion to work? If they haven't been approved within a certain length of time?

What I do is have a "Validation" page with the option to either validate or delete a given record. I usually go through and delete the ones I'm not going to validate and then validate the rest.

Quote:
I see that dbman can be set to allow users to view and edit only their record (which is what I would need). Other than setting the $auth_* items, what else needs to be done so that users can access their record and only their record?

You need to set up a field to hold the userid and you need to set the $auth_user_field value to the number of that field. If you want each user to have only one record in the database, you need to set $db_key to the name of the userid field and $db_key_track to 0.

Quote:
Can users change their password?

Once I get my "change password" mod working again, yes. You will have to modify the script, though.

Quote:
I want a one step signup that allows the user to pick their username/password combo, fill in the information required by us, then be redirected to a "thank you, you'll be notified shortly" type page. Can and how?

Not easily. The signup and record adding are two different steps in DBMan. This would take quite extensive custom scripting.

Quote:
I would be willing to accept bids and pay if someone wants to setup these customizations for me and zip off a set of files ready to go

I'll be in touch. Smile

------------------
JPD