Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

CGI error - not related to upload type.

Quote Reply
CGI error - not related to upload type.
My script is having problems loading the required libraries, and it's not related to uploading in binary Smile (I lynxed the zip file directly from gossamer-threads and unzipped into the directory; it hasn't gone through a download/upload except as a zip file.)

Error:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Error loading required libraries.
Check that they exist, permissions are set correctly and that they compile.
Reason: (Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)

Script Location : db.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00404
Setup File : default.cfg

I have set:
-rw-r--r-- README.txt
drwxrwxrwx auth/
-rw-r--r-- auth.pl
-rwxr-xr-x db.cgi*
-rw-r--r-- default.cfg
-rw-rw-rw- default.count
-rw-rw-rw- default.db
-rw-rw-rw- default.log
-rw-rw-rw- default.pass
-rw-r--r-- html.pl

I have successfully experimented with this database on a FreeBSD based system; this new system is Linux (I don't know which version tho') Are there any issues that might pop up with any versions of Linux? Can you suggest any tests I might run to further determine the problem?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: CGI error - not related to upload type. In reply to
It is related to upload type. Your procedure must not guarantee that the files remain in ASCII mode. (I haven't used this procedure myself, though.) The only thing that the error message

(Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)

will mean is that at least one file is in binary mode.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I have used vi to check for carriage returns and found none in any of the files. I have used a search string in vi to successfully remove carriage returns from another installation of DB Manager.

I had used this method to originally install one currently working version of the program. I accidently transfered that version in binary to another system, and used vi to strip the carriage returns successfully - once I realized that the carriage returns were a problem there, I just stripped them out.

BTW, I had done an ASCII upload to the system (from a working version of the database) and encountered the same error. I did the fresh install from a gossamer-threads zip file as a "just in case" when the ASCII upload did not work.

Can the presence of symbolic links interfer with the loading of the libraries? For instance, the URL of the location of the db.cgi is not the directory location on the system itself. It didn't seem to interfer with the last setup, but that was a VN web server vs. an Apache in this instance.
Quote Reply
Well, I guess I was wrong, then. Smile

I don't know about any effect that symbolic links might have. You seem to know more about this than I do! Smile

------------------
JPD