Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Can't get auth page to show up

Quote Reply
Can't get auth page to show up
Hello,
I have setup the script on a Unix server and have indicated in the default.cfg file to use authentication. However, when I run the script in a browser, I don't get the username/password page that is in the online demo. Instead, it gives me the interface for the database itself, which does not allow me to do anything, since I can't login.

Please let me know what information, if any, you need to figure this out. Thank you.

Matt Calvert
slideman@calvert.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can't get auth page to show up In reply to
Just to make sure, you say you "have indicated in the default.cfg file to use authentication." That means you have set $auth_no_authentication to 0, right? It seems a little backward, but that's how it works.

I guess the best thing to do would be to copy your default.cfg file to a web-accessible directory and rename it with a .txt extension. Then let us know where it is and we'll take a look at it.

If you weren't on a Unix server, I might think you were using Xitami, because that's what happens with it. But I think Xitami is just for Windows.

You might try looking at the FAQ at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Detailed/8.html
anyway, even though you don't have a Xitami server. It seems like your server may be doing the same thing.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Just my two cents about Xitami:

This small, fast, powerful, easy to install and to manage freeware server works under all Unix, all Windows (including WFW 3.11), under DOS and under OS/2 too !

It is of course the ideal companion of DBMan...

Give it a try at www.imatix.com !

Cheers,
Germain
Quote Reply
Thanks much for the info. I didn't realize it worked under Unix.

The only thing that I've found to be a problem with Xitami is the user authentication thing. It passes a "-" to the script even when you haven't logged on with .htaccess. In order for DBMan to work, you have to either use .htaccess or disable that feature of DMan.

That being said, I agree with you about Xitami. I use it all the time on my home computer.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hello,
I found out what the problem was. I placed the cgi inside a password-protected directory. I set up this password protection personally, using .htaccess. When I moved the script outside of this password protected directory, the login screen came up, as it should.

Apparently, the script recognized logging in with .htaccess as authentication for the script itself. Something I did not expect it to do.

Sorry to bust everyone's chops about this one.

Matt Calvert
slideman@calvert.com
Quote Reply
No problem, Matt. I think we all learned some things here, so nothing is lost. Smile

You can disable the server authentication if you want to keep the script in the password protected directory. Just go to the FAQ page I mentioned earlier and follow the instructions there. Or add your .htaccess username and password to the DBMan .pass file and you'll have the best of both worlds.

------------------
JPD