Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Can't log on no matter what UID & PW I use

Quote Reply
Can't log on no matter what UID & PW I use
I am unable to log onto the database no matter what UID and PW I use. I went in as the faq said and deleted all enteries from the pass file and was able to get to the admin page. When I add a user it takes me to the log on page, when I type in the user name it flashes me back to the same login screen. I have worked with a lot of databases but this one is about to drive me nuts!!
Quote Reply
Re: Can't log on no matter what UID & PW I use In reply to
What kind of a system are you on and what kind of server does it use?

Could I see your default.cfg file?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
The server is a CoblatRAQ2 running under Red Hat Linux with perl 5.00404

Let me know where to email my default.cfg and I would be happy to send it to you..

Quote Reply
I would rather you placed in on the web somewhere so I could look at it. My email box gets really full of files that people attach.

Copy your default.cfg file to a directory where you would place html files and rename it "default_cfg.txt". Then let me know where it is and I'll look at it. If you would rather not post the location of the .cfg file publicly, you may send me an email at deni@jpdeni.com, letting me know where to find it.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
(Sorry for going off-topic. Again! Smile)

Bishop,

Is that a Vservers RAQ2? Well, whether it is or not, I'm thinking of moving into one sometime soon so I'm curious, how do you find it?

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
You can view the default.cfg file as default_cfg.txt at http://165.90.96.90/default_cfg.txt

Internic is still screwing with an ip number change which is why I gave you the ip instead of the domain name.
Quote Reply
I was able to log in just fine. (Well, there was a little problem with the IP address, but I worked around it.)

Try this:
http://165.90.96.90/cgi-bin/db.cgi?userid=admin&pw=admin&login=1

That has the same effect as entering the userid and password into the fields, but works around your IP address problem.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I used the logon string you gave me and I got onto the propper page however when I go to admin and add a user the same thing happens. It takes me to a logon page, I type in the new user name and also try admin/guest/author and it takes me back to the log in page. Also the new user is not added. If I go directly to db.cgi the same thing happens. which means that no one can log on to the database to do anything.

Is it something to do with the permissions or maybe the location of auth.pl? I have all of the files in the cgi-bin dir. Also as I was unsure I placed a copy of auth.pl in the auth dir. Currently all that is in the auth dir is the index.html that came with the dist pkg and auth.pl

This all started with the db pkg out of the box so to speak. I modified the default.cfg and db.cgi as instructed then attempted to test the db and was not able to log on.
Quote Reply
I think the problem may be connected with your IP name woes. Try changing the $db_dir_url in your .cfg file to the IP address you gave me.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I may have a suggestion, since I had the same exact problem. Goto your sign-up page, and create a new user. Download your default.pass to your computer. Now, when I had this problem, the password file was all on one line, so it was all commented out. Now look at your default.pass, change the usre priv's to '1,1,1,1,1' I believe, so you get all access. Then delete the old profiles, like admin, author, guest. Re upload the pass file, in "ASCII Mode" <-- Cant stress this enough.. And login with your new user id. Make a user called "admin/admin" (user/pw), with all privs and try relogging in, if it works, get rid of the privs on your test account, and your set. Hopefully, this will work for you. It did for me.
Quote Reply
Well it worked. Changing the domain name to the ip didn't help. I edited the default pass file removing all entries and that didn't work either.. I re-edited it removing all entries except the admin one and it worked... Don't really know how or why doing that made it work but mine is not to reason why I guess..