Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Can DBMan do this?

Quote Reply
Can DBMan do this?
1. 'The' eliminator. A sort field which is invisible to any viewer and which consists of the company name with any leading 'The' removed and a trailing '<space>(The)' created. ex: field='company'='The Gap' and field='co-sort'='Gap (The)'. In any list view, record would appear alphabetically with the G's. The sort field entry, once it has been created, must be editable by the Administrator with discretionary override privileges.

2. Date and time auto-enter

4. Modify Record actually creates a new record and hides the old record.

5. Format numbers as money. User enters '515' and record shows '$5.15'.
alt
If there are 2 entry fields 'Dollars' and 'Cents' requiring 2 numeric entries, '5' and '15', program enters '5.15' into the database.

6. Required fields. If no entry or 'space', SUBMIT is rejected with an explanation.

7. Conditionally required fields. As above, however conditionally applied: If 'Country' = 'USA' or 'Canada' the field 'zip_postal_code' is required, else not required.

8. Alphanumeric Unique ID creator. An automatically created text field from a numeric ID field: '1' becomes '000001', '202' becomes '000202', etc.

9. Wrong format detector. If 'Name' is all upper case (JOE SMITH) or all lower case (joe smith) or a wierd mix (JOe smIth), SUBMIT is rejected with an explanation.

We're trying to evaluate DBMan's suitablity for our use, and we're NOT programmers. I expect that for each case the possible response would be one of these:

A. DBMan does this now.
B. A mod already exists to accomplish this
C. You're thinking about this wrong, there's a better way to approach it.
D. This requires some (a little or a lot) of programming, but it can be done.
E. Forget it.

Thanks,
Paul Brown
Quote Reply
Re: Can DBMan do this? In reply to
1) A
2) A
4) C
5) D
6) A
7) D
8) C and E
9) D

BTW: You do not have a number 3. Also, answers to your questions are not so cut and dry. It cannot be measured quantitatively in terms of a likert scale type of analysis. Like with your first question, DBMAN already does these things, however, it would take some customization to do the first part of your request in Question 1. Also, many of your questions are answered in the DBMAN forums and also in the README document.

Wink

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks Elliot, sorry about No. 3.

I was looking for what DBMan can do in the context of my own limited (non-)abilities and with how much trouble. Your answer was helpful.

Where can I find the 'The-word' eliminator?

Also, where can I find the date and time-stamp information?

When I ask about adding a record instead of modifying a record, it's because it is necessary for us to get the input from the users without giving up the final authority to the users what information we accept. If I re-name the function 'Add-a-Record-Like-this-Record' it could perform that function similarly for another purpose. The 2nd purpose would be to facilitate many additions with only minor changes from each other. Where would I find some information about this?

Regarding No.5, where can I find some information on how DBMan does or can handle money-formatted data, including adding and multiplying numeric data.

tia,
Paul Brown
Quote Reply
Search the DBMAN Discussion Forum...you will find answers there.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------