Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Can do everything but ADD

Quote Reply
Can do everything but ADD
I can VIEW, MODIFY, and DELETE - but when I try to ADD, my form doesn't call up the script. I get this message:

...cannot open http://www.schoolshows.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi

I'm sure I have permissions set correctly.

Authentication is set to:
$auth_no_authentication = 0;
$auth_allow_default = 1;
@auth_default_permissions = (1,0,0,0,0);
$auth_signup = 0;
@auth_signup_permissions = (1,0,0,0,);
$auth_modify_own = 0;
$auth_view_own = 0;
$auth_user_field = 2;

Any ideas?

Rick
Quote Reply
Re: Can do everything but ADD In reply to
I would suggest that you turn on auto_generate and try it. I'm not sure what the problem is.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I still get the same response when I try this. So, I still stumped.

I neglected to tell you that I also get this...

The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response.

...when I try to ADD.

Does this help you?

Thanks,
Rick
Quote Reply
Can you give me the exact wording of the error message?

I tried it with both Netscape and IE. Netscape gave me "the document contains no data" and IE gave me "The page cannot be displayed."

I downloaded your default.cfg file and ran it on my computer using autogenerate. It worked just fine. This tells me there is something wrong with your html.pl file. If you'll copy the html.pl file and rename it so it has a .txt extension (call it html_pl.txt) and then let me know where it is, I'll look at it for you.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
The exact error message is:

"Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.schoolshows.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi. The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response."

I, too, suspected the html.pl, so, just for kicks I installed the original unmodified html.pl, but I still got the error message.

Could the problem be with my server?

Thanks for taking a look at my modified html.pl, which can be found at:

http://www.schoolshows.com/html_pl.txt

Rick
Quote Reply
This is a real mystery. I played around with it last night and was able to trick the server into adding a record for me. It worked just fine.

To see what I mean, go to the "Add" form and then, in the browser "Location" field (not on your form, but on your browser), change "add_form=1" to "add_record=1." Then hit your return key. You will get a DBMan error message that you didn't fill in the required fields -- add_failure. You can fill in the fields on that form and everything will work just fine.

The only thing that I can think to do, since the "add_failure" works is to copy the body of the "html_add_failure" subroutine into "html_add_form." You can edit out the error messages, and you'll need to change the line

&html_record_form (%in);

to

&html_record_form (&get_defaults);

I don't see any real difference in the two subroutines, but there may be something I've missed.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I tried your trick, and it worked fine for me, too. So, I did as you suggested and used html_add_failure to build a new html_add_form. But then... I not only got my error message using add_form=1 in the browser location field, but now I also get it using add_record=1.

So, I reinstalled the html.pl that you used last time, (the one where add_failure worked but add_form did not). But... now neither add_failure or add_form works. I swear I didn't alter it. It's the same script, but now it's behaving differently. Definitely a mystery to me, too.

I also ran a virus check and found nothing.

Sorry to keep pestering you with this, but I'm really at a loss for ideas.

Thanks,
Rick

Quote Reply
Sorry I didn't answer this before. Seattle is still having phone problems and I got dumped.

What I would suggest is that you replace your entire html.pl script with the original script that came with the DBMan package. Set $db_autogenerate = 1 in the .cfg file and try it. You won't get your own forms and displays, but you can test out to see if there's a problem with your server.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I have good news, and weird news...

The good: everything works now!

The weird: I didn't change anything

I did try your suggestion to reinstall the originals. They worked fine, so I reinstalled my modified scripts and they suddenly decided to work.

I strongly suspect my server. So, I hope I haven't led you on a wild goose hunt for nothing. I'm still very grateful for all your expert help!

Rick
Quote Reply
It sounds like a server thing to me.

No problem. Nice to know it works now. Those gremlins get into all sorts of stuff. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Me again.

Is it possible a corrupted database could be my problem? When I try the original sample database (using my modified html.pl and default.cfg) I am sucessful in Adding records. When I try my my database (which BTW is about .3meg) I get the same old erro message.

Still a mystery.

Rick
Quote Reply
It could be that there is a problem with your database. Try using a completely empty database and see what happens.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
The problem is definitely the database, which, as you may recall, I'm not creating in dbman. And I think the problem is the size of the database. Because...

I tested splitting up my original database of 175 records into thirds and testing smaller groups of records. I got the following results:

DB containing records 1-50 succeeded.
DB containing records 48-102 succeeded.
DB containing records 100-175 suceeded.
But...
DB containing records 48-175 failed.

So, when my database exceeds roughly 200K, I get my old error message.

I've been using NOTEPAD to build my database. Do I just need a better ASCII text editor?

Thanks,
Rick
Quote Reply
Probably. I wouldn't use Notepad.

If you go to download.com, you can pick up several different editors. There's a freeware editor called "Programmer's File Editor" that is very good. There's also a shareware ($20) editor called "EditPlus" that is even better.

------------------
JPD