Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Changing Form Fields.....

Quote Reply
Changing Form Fields.....
I am creating an alumni database and want to change the form fields that came with the script. What exactly will I need to change to have my own fields?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing Form Fields..... In reply to
If you haven't already, I would suggest that you upload the default database and run it on your server. Add, view, modify and delete files and access the admin page to familiarize yourself with the workings of the script. It will also let you know if there are things you need to change in the script. (If you've already done this, ignore the previous paragraph. Smile )

The easiest way to set up your fields is to use a tool that Alex wrote, which is available at
http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/dbman/build.cgi

You can enter your field definitions in the form there and it will create a page that has the code you need for them. Then you just need to copy and paste them into the .cfg file.

My next suggestion is to set the $db_auto_generate to 1 and to upload a new, completely empty default.db file. Then run the script on your server again to check out the new fields. Do all the functions again.

Once you know that your field definitions work, you can get to the fun stuff of customizing the script to make it your own.

------------------
JPD