Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

DBMAN INternal error

Quote Reply
DBMAN INternal error
I am on my third attempt to install DBMan on my website for a roster system, to no avail. Here is the debug message I recieved. I checked the lines it says there are errors in and could find no problem. All permissions are set correctly and they exist.

<PRE>

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Error loading required libraries.
Check that they exist, permissions are set correctly and that they compile.
Reason: syntax error at default.cfg line 36, near "$db_dir_url "
Compilation failed in require at /home/cracksku/public_html/test/eqrdb/db.cgi line 52.

Script Location : /home/cracksku/public_html/test/eqrdb/db.cgi
Perl Version : 5.006001
Setup File : default.cfg

Form Variables
-------------------------------------------

Environment Variables
-------------------------------------------
DOCUMENT_ROOT : /home/cracksku/public_html/test
GATEWAY_INTERFACE : CGI/1.1
HTTP_ACCEPT : */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE: en-us
HTTP_CONNECTION : Keep-Alive
HTTP_HOST : test.crackskulls.com
HTTP_USER_AGENT : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; T312461; Q312461)
PATH : /usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/jdk/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin
QUERY_STRING :
REMOTE_ADDR : 66.1.59.142
REMOTE_PORT : 1742
REQUEST_METHOD : GET
REQUEST_URI : /eqrdb/db.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME : /home/cracksku/public_html/test/eqrdb/db.cgi
SCRIPT_NAME : /eqrdb/db.cgi
SERVER_ADDR : 64.119.173.101
SERVER_ADMIN : wwwadmin@crackskulls.com
SERVER_NAME : test.crackskulls.com
SERVER_PORT : 80
SERVER_PROTOCOL : HTTP/1.1
SERVER_SIGNATURE : <ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.22 Server at test.crackskulls.com Port 80</ADDRESS>

SERVER_SOFTWARE : Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a mod_perl/1.26 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.1.0 mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.5 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

</PRE>

Last edited by:

Hederick: May 15, 2002, 11:25 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Hederick] DBMAN INternal error In reply to
Can you please post a text copy of your .cfg file on your server and provide the url to where it can be viewed.

It does also help to move the line:

$db_debug = 0;

to above the section:

# File and URL's

in your .cfg file. This will catch errors in the .cfg file.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] DBMAN INternal error In reply to
Sorry just fixed the posting problem

http://test.crackskulls.com/defaultcfg.htm

There is the link the the Default.cfg file in text to read.

Last edited by:

Hederick: May 15, 2002, 11:31 PM
Quote Reply
The only thing I can see in your .cfg file is:

'key' => [70, 'alpha', 20, 255, 0, '', '']

If you are using this as a counter it should be setup as:

'key' => [70, 'numer', 20, 255, 0, '', '']

I don't think this would be causing the error though. Want to fix that and see if it helps?

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

Quote Reply
Did you by any chance change this line in your db.cgi file?

# If you run into problems, set $db_script_path to the full path to your directory.
$db_script_path = ".";

There is only rare instances where it's necessary to change that line.

I'm also wondering if everything worked prior to adding the dirty word censor mod.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

Last edited by:

LoisC: May 16, 2002, 12:13 AM
Quote Reply
I am not sure if it worked prior to the dirty word mod, it was already in the code when I downloaded it. I will change the $db_script_path = "."; line back to default. I will also look into removing the dirty word filter.

ok changed the $db_script_path line to $db_script_path = "."; and made no difference still the same errors.
And changint the 'key" line made no changes either.

Last edited by:

Hederick: May 16, 2002, 1:34 AM
Quote Reply
I didn't realize that Alex had added any mod to the script for people to download. You downloaded the script from this site?

There must be another error somewhere I know I have gotten this error at times, and when I carefully checked any changes I made I discoved the error. Try adding the snippet of code for getting useful error messages in the FAQ under "Troubleshooting" called "Debugging - How To Obtain Useful Error Messages"

It could be that within your html_record_form you are missing a closing ' or " within one of the field references.
Check over the coding carefully to be sure there are no errors within that sub.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

Last edited by:

LoisC: May 16, 2002, 9:35 AM
Quote Reply
No I downloaded the script from guildtools.net. Its a DBman setup to do guild rostering. The person at guildtools.net added in the mod.

And I just tried adding in the extra debug code. With it in I get a 500 internal and no output to the error.txt file, without it I still the DBman debug message in broswer.

Last edited by:

Hederick: May 16, 2002, 1:11 PM
Quote Reply
Does that website have permission to distribute DBMAN?
Quote Reply
Does this person who is redistributing a modified version of DBMan provide support?

I think when Alex agrees to allow people to redistribute the script they must also agree to provide the support but i'm not positive on this.

It was always my understanding that it was NOT allowed to redistribute modified version of the script.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

Quote Reply
I am not sure at all. There is only one disclainer on the website, which reads as follows.

All versions of the RDB are a modified form of DBMan that Gassamer-Threads has so kindly allowed free use/modification of for non-profit organizations. The GuildTools Network is definitely a non-profit organization. Then at the bottom there is a bit more about if you infact do use this for a profitable organization you can run into legal trouble with Gassamer-Threads.

So again, I am not sure, kinda sounds like he has permission. Although this topic is starting to stray from its original intent. It does state in the DBMan readme.txt file as follows

This program is being distributed as shareware. It may be used and
modified free of charge for personal, academic or non-profit
use, so long as this copyright notice and the header above remain intact.

As the copytight notice states, it really is of no consequence wether i modified or someone else modified the the files for personal non-profit use.

I really dont mean to pry into this further, I really just want to get to the issue of a syntax error in default.cgi in the $db_dir_url line of code and get DBMan working, or even get the enhanced debug code working since it made the entire thing cease to work.

Jason Elliott
Quote Reply
Jason, download a clean version of DBman from this site and start from there. The problem is that no one here has any idea what was potentially changed in the modded version, and therefore can't troubleshoot it. Unsure

If you really want to install the dirty word filter after you get the base DB up and running, then that should be straightforward.
Quote Reply
Re: [oldmoney] DBMAN INternal error In reply to
Jason:

Did you carefully check over your html_record_form as I suggested above for any missing ' or " within the field definitions?

Say if you had:

$rec{'ID} - note missing '

rather than:

$rec{'ID'}

this could cause the script to fail with the message you gave. This just happened recently to someone else. If you need a second set of eyes to check over your coding, please save a copy of your html.pl file as a text file and post the url to where it can be viewed.

Also did you put that snippet of code for the error messages at the very top of your .cfg, html.pl and db.cgi files. It would be inserted after the path to perl in the .cgi file. Also be sure to use the full PATH to your error.txt file and perhaps put it outside your cgi-bin directory.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

Last edited by:

LoisC: May 17, 2002, 9:20 AM
Quote Reply
The error around that line is likely to be a missing " or ;