Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

DBMan Tutorial [jpdeni.com]

Quote Reply
DBMan Tutorial [jpdeni.com]
Hi I was visiting the site at http://jpdeni.com/dbman/tutorial.html
but I was wondering if someone that has used this could give me some insight that the site doesn't explain (before I delve into something I don't see a clear outline to)

1) What does it do? The overview doesn't say what the DB tutorial does.
2) What is the flow? Every tutorial has a flow of steps 1, 2, 3. I can't tell from the links what order to do stuff in.
3) Does it really work? Since this is a web-based database, is there a link that shows what the end result will be?
I could spend hours on this and never get it working, but seeing it in action is helpful me to debug my own implementation (when it fails!).

Thanks for any tips on what this tutorial might do!
Quote Reply
Re: [madmoguler] DBMan Tutorial [jpdeni.com] In reply to
I decided to learn a little about DBMAN about a month ago so I know where you are coming from.

1) What does it do? - for newbies to DBMAN

Quote:
It has been my experience, both in my own use of DBMan and in answering questions of others, that some of the procedures may not be perfectly clear as to how to create and customize an application of DBMan. So I have put together a little tutorial on how to work with it. I am not going to pretend that everything here will be perfectly clear either. But I'll give it a shot.

I have tried to make the instructions as basic as I could, with the absolute beginner in mind. If you understand something already, it still won't hurt you to read it. There may be some nuance within a paragraph that you didn't already know.

2) What is the flow? Every tutorial has a flow of steps 1, 2, 3. I can't tell from the links what order to do stuff in.

Hmmm...read number 1, then read number 2, then read number 3, etc, etc

3) Does it really work? Since this is a web-based database, is there a link that shows what the end result will be?

yep, it works. just depends on what your needs are and how much time/money/effort your are willing to put forth.

In the DBMAN product description there is a demo available. But to really see it in action, you will need to visit the Resource section from the Services menu to see some real sites that use DBMAN. An excellent site is http://www.soldbygilda.com

The tutorial is an excellent starting point

Quote:

If you follow all the steps outlined here, you will be able to come up with a very good workable version of DBMan for your website. You can go further than this, but start with the basics and do one thing at a time. Do not try to make a whole lot of modifications to the scripts and then upload them. If there is a problem with the scripts, it is much easier to figure out where the problems are if you make just one change at a time.

Install the "demo" and then start making your changes....

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] DBMan Tutorial [jpdeni.com] In reply to
In Reply To:
I decided to learn a little about DBMAN about a month ago so I know where you are coming from.

1) What does it do? - for newbies to DBMAN

Quote:
It has been my experience, both in my own use of DBMan and in answering questions of others, that some of the procedures may not be perfectly clear as to how to create and customize an application of DBMan. So I have put together a little tutorial on how to work with it. I am not going to pretend that everything here will be perfectly clear either. But I'll give it a shot.

I have tried to make the instructions as basic as I could, with the absolute beginner in mind. If you understand something already, it still won't hurt you to read it. There may be some nuance within a paragraph that you didn't already know.

OK - So you have proven my point. It doesn't say. Does the database print Hello World to a flat text file per user. Does it create some sort of user regisration mechanism? Does it give as a database of the CIA hit list. Does it run the demo on the dbman website?

Hmmm...read number 1, then read number 2, then read number 3, etc, etc

Well there is no 1, 2, 3. The author alludes to an outpline, but there really is none. I expect someone that know how to program in Perl would know how to create a numbered list in HTML.

Does the tutorial work? Why should I waste my time
on the tutorial if I can't even see what it's supposed to do? And if I can't see a working end result, I don't know if this author really knows what they are talking about. I don't want to spend a lot of time/money/effort to evalute this tool which is why I would like some clarifiation on this tutorial.

yep, it works. just depends on what your needs are and how much time/money/effort your are willing to put forth.

In the DBMAN product description there is a demo available. But to really see it in action, you will need to visit the Resource section from the Services menu to see some real sites that use DBMAN. An excellent site is http://www.soldbygilda.com

The tutorial is an excellent starting point

Quote:

If you follow all the steps outlined here, you will be able to come up with a very good workable version of DBMan for your website. You can go further than this, but start with the basics and do one thing at a time. Do not try to make a whole lot of modifications to the scripts and then upload them. If there is a problem with the scripts, it is much easier to figure out where the problems are if you make just one change at a time.

Install the "demo" and then start making your changes....
Quote Reply
One change to my last post - the Resource Center is actually in the Support section.

The database will do whatever you program it to do. You have to design it yourself. If you want a CIA hit list, then you have create the fields for the database. If you want it to print out Hello World, it will do that too.

If you look in the default.cfg file, you will see the list of fields for the demo database. These can be changed - by you, to create whatever database you want. It is pretty much free-form in that sense. It will do anything from car listings, alumni directories, membership lists, employee hand book, listing of news articles, real estate listings, info on horses, products for sale, etc, etc.

Did you read the product description to find out what it can do? Did you look at the online demo? Did you visit any of the sites by clicking on the Other sites using DBMan option?

As for the author, do your homework and find out if she is any good. I'll give you my opinion - she is probably the most knowledgeable DBMAN expert on this forum ( and this is about the only DBMAN forum ). And based on the attitude you have exhibited so far, you might not get much help from her although she appears to have a humble and cooperative attitude in general.

The tutorial has nine links to click on. The description for each is fairly self-expanatory. You should be able to figure out which one to click on. As a hint, just start at the top of the list and work your way down. Hell, with only nine to chose from, it ain't like ya' gotta million choices!

If you don't like the tutorial, don't use it - no one is forcing you to use it. All the information you need to install and change the program to fit your needs are in the download file. It is a tutorial for using/changing DBMAN. It is not a product evaluation which appears to be what you are after. It's primary value comes after you have decided it is something that will do the job for you - this is what a tutorial is.

Maybe, if you shared with us, what you are trying to do, we could tell you whether or not you might be able to do it with DBMAN.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."

Last edited by:

esm: Feb 21, 2003, 1:41 PM
Quote Reply
I have a feeling that the demo/tutorial is the same as the online demo.
http://gossamer-threads.com/perl/dbman/db.cgi
That is my question. Maybe the author could say, "If you want to see this tutorial in action, see URL XYZ".

I am not asking what DBMan can do, I know what a flat text database can do and have read the online materials. I want to know what THIS tutorial does, nothing else.

The author obviously went to a lot of trouble to put this together, but it's like she is giving you a bunch of ingreedients to mix together without telling you what you are making. Am I going to eat cake or beef stew?

In Reply To:
One change to my last post - the Resource Center is actually in the Support section.

The database will do whatever you program it to do. You have to design it yourself. If you want a CIA hit list, then you have create the fields for the database. If you want it to print out Hello World, it will do that too.

If you look in the default.cfg file, you will see the list of fields for the demo database. These can be changed - by you, to create whatever database you want. It is pretty much free-form in that sense. It will do anything from car listings, alumni directories, membership lists, employee hand book, listing of news articles, real estate listings, info on horses, products for sale, etc, etc.

Did you read the product description to find out what it can do? Did you look at the online demo? Did you visit any of the sites by clicking on the Other sites using DBMan option?

As for the author, do your homework and find out if she is any good. I'll give you my opinion - she is probably the most knowledgeable DBMAN expert on this forum ( and this is about the only DBMAN forum ). And based on the attitude you have exhibited so far, you might not get much help from her although she appears to have a humble and cooperative attitude in general.

The tutorial has nine links to click on. The description for each is fairly self-expanatory. You should be able to figure out which one to click on. As a hint, just start at the top of the list and work your way down. Hell, with only nine to chose from, it ain't like ya' gotta million choices!

If you don't like the tutorial, don't use it - no one is forcing you to use it. All the information you need to install and change the program to fit your needs are in the download file. It is a tutorial for using/changing DBMAN. It is not a product evaluation which appears to be what you are after. It's primary value comes after you have decided it is something that will do the job for you - this is what a tutorial is.

Maybe, if you shared with us, what you are trying to do, we could tell you whether or not you might be able to do it with DBMAN.
Quote Reply
well, if I understand you, then the tutorial merely describes the tools (utensils) that are at your disposal and how to use them and adapt them to get what you want. We can't tell you what you want.

If you want beef stew, then use the ingredients for beef stew. If you want a cake, then use the ingredients for a cake. The "ingredients" are the fields listed in the default.cfg. YOU will change the ingredients based upon what YOU want. Only after YOU decide on the ingredients will YOU know whether you will get beef stew or a cake. Then use the tutorial as a staring point to help determine what kind of cake you will end up with and how it will look.

I provided some very simple instructions in a post within the past week or so (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...=default.cfg;#231567) on installing DBMAN and playing around with it.

Install DBMAN (takes about 30 minutes tops). See if it will do what you want it to do. You and I have spend enough time posting messages for you to have done that and to have already formed a preliminary opinion as to whether or not DBMAN will work for you.

Gene
Quote Reply
Quote:
1) What does it do? The overview doesn't say what the DB tutorial does.
>>> So I have put together a little tutorial on how to work with it [meaning the database -- getting it set up and running]

Quote:
>>> Go down the links in order: The basic tools; install the demo; create your own configuration; set permissions. Then go across to: Some basics of perl; Create your own forms and displays; Fancier formatting; How to install a mod

Quote:
>>> Here is the GT Demo

Quote:
I could spend hours on this and never get it working, but seeing it in action is helpful me to debug my own implementation (when it fails!).
>>> See link above... also check out these: User sites in action (sites individuals have done).

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] DBMan Tutorial [jpdeni.com] In reply to
Hoooray for Watts!!Smile
Thanks for the straight answer. I won't have spend time guessing what I am trying to learn here.

I noticed that the Emory site for Pedi Surgery is almost
exactly what I am trying to accomplish.
http://www.pedsurgery.emory.edu/index.html?cgi/dbman/db.cgi

I have lot more confidence in what I am looking at now!
Quote Reply
Wow! Thanks!!! I have used DBman for a bunch of different projects. This one was for my wife's real estate (www.soldbygilda.com). DBMan has been the most useful script I have EVER found on the net! I have used many but DBMan is BY FAR the BEST!!

This is the first time I have found anyone using my work as an example! Feel's good.

Keep up the good work, Gossamer!

In Reply To:

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: [jnjhost] DBMan Tutorial [jpdeni.com] In reply to
I'm sure there are many good sites out there using dbman. I had just recently seen yours and it was really good. the madmoguler didn't like my answers Frown but was able to give a big hurray to Watts who pretty much re-iterated what had provided. I guess I need to work on my communication skills Angelic.

Gene