Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Displaying Category

Quote Reply
Displaying Category
Hi,

I have three questions.

1. We sell Vitamins, and when adding the new products I have made fields like Company, Item Number, Category, etc.. So, lets say the user wants to browse by company, so they click on Gossamer Threads, Inc. Now once they click on the company name, they see just a row of text with all the categories that exist with this company (Vitamin A, Vitamin C, etc..

Once they click on the category for that company his search results will come up, and
he will see what he would of seen if he just used the search form.

What I was thinking to do is use the same method as the long_and_short method taught by the great JPDeni. Please tell me If you think my idea will work out.

2. Going back to the first question. If the user wants to browse the database by company, what link method will I use. Basically what I am asking is this, if I want to narrow down the search to display all search results For the company "Gossamer Threads, Inc.," and it should consist of only the Category of "Vitamin A", how do I do this.

Also I want to set up the opposite of the previous method. So the user will first click on Category (e.g. Vitamin A), then all the companies that have that category will come up.

3. I know this might sound dumb, but I haven't had a chance to learn this yet. Let's
say the user doesn't want to browse by Company or Category, he just wants to search
for a particular item, so there will be a search field on the top of the page for the user to search. Under the search field there will be a drop down list to search by Category, Item #, or By Company. How do I set this up.

I really hope my questions are understood. Your help is greatly appreciated. Who knows, maybe after you teach me this and I will become a little more aquatinted with this Awesome script, I will be the one answering your questions.

Thank You
Eli Finkelman
Quote Reply
Re: Displaying Category In reply to
You can do a search for a company and it will come up with all products for that company. Or you can do a search for a category and it wil come up with all the products in that category. Or you can do a search for company and category and it will come up with all the products that fit both criteria. I don't know of a way to come up with an intermediate search.

How do you do that? You set up select fields in your .cfg file that lists the Categories and Companis and then use &build_select_field in html_record_form to create them.

------------------
JPD