Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Email Address Field?

Quote Reply
Email Address Field?
I seem to be having problems getting DBman to accept an email address as one of the fields on a record.

All other information is collected as submitted except for the text field named "Email Address". Is there a way to collect an email address that is entered on the form?
Quote Reply
Re: Email Address Field? In reply to
This may be way off the mark but could the space in "email address" the problem? Also double check the way you declared it in default.cfg and then in html.pl, ie; Capitals vs lower case (you used Capitals in default.cfg but lower case in html.pl) and is the field alpha or numer?

Like I said I could be wrong but it still something worth checking Smile good luck.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the response... I changed "Email Address" to "Email" still no luck. I also checked to make sure the case is the same in both default.cfg and html.pl.

Also the field is set to be "Alpha" rather than "numer". Could it be the "@" in the data that is typed into the record?
Quote Reply
The @ in the email won't cause a problem.

Be sure the field type is "alpha" and not "Alpha." (That was probably just a typo here and not on your config file.)

The only time I've seen a field not being accepted is when there is a misspelling in either html_record or html_record_form. There are three places you need to look -- in the field definition in html_record_form:
<input type=text name="Email"} value="$rec{'Email'}">
(that's two of them)

and in html_record where you print out the info.

If you're still having problems, make your html.pl file and default.cfg file available in text form on your website and post where it is so we can take a look at it.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Jenni - thanks for your reply. I checked them all and they all appear to be correct. Still no luck though getting the email address to appear. I also forgot to tell you what it does display in the "Email Address" field is "admin" instead of the email address. I have posted them so that you can view them at http://www.cocoahighalumni.com/defaultcfg.txt and http://www.cocoahighalumni.com/htmlpl.txt

Maybe another set of eyes looking at them will point out the problem to me. Also, is there a way once we get the email address to show up to make it a "mailto" that if clicked on will start up the users default mail client to send this person email?

Thanks again for a great product and for your assistance !

[This message has been edited by donm (edited March 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Jenni - I must have been very tired when trying to set this up. I finally got it working. Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Don--

I know you got it working, but just for the edification of others who might be reading this --

The problem (which I'm sure you found out) was that your email field was probably field 9 and you hadn't changed the $auth_user_field in the default.cfg file. Or you had set the $auth_user_field to the wrong number.

(I woke up this morning thinking of you and realized that this probably was the problem. Your post about "admin" being in the field confirmed my suspicions.)

Congrats on finding it yourself, though. Ain't it a great feeling!?!?! Smile

Did you get the "mailto" thing worked out, too?
------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited March 14, 1999).]