Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Error...

Quote Reply
Error...
When I opened my DBMAN this morning I got this error when I tried to Create a new account...
"Error Message : fatal error: Permission denied at /home/luthien/epilogue/public_html/cgi/dbman/db.cgi line 741."

Everything seems to work fine even though I get this message (this debug info was displayed even though I have the debug feature turned off??). File permissions are set appropiately. I have turned on the Debug info since then to help facilitate anyone who can help me. thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Error... In reply to
We need the URL of your login page in order to help you. Smile

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
this might be off the point since you didn't mention that 1.) it's a new install or 2.) that you've been using DBMAN until now.
Basic problem might be that your AUTH folder permissions on your server might not be set correctly. I came across alot of these types of problems in the beginning Smile
Quote Reply
I got so carried away writing the message I forgot to put the URL Smile http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/dbman/db.cgi

(all the file and folder permissions are set correctly, and I have been using it <testing it> for a couple of weeks now)
Quote Reply
Did you get it fixed? Seems to work okay for me. (Maybe it's the same gremlin that was at work for someone else. Asking for help here seems to fix things all on its own! Smile )

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
Well, yeah, the account gets created and everything works fine...but this error message has me wondering...
fatal error: Permission denied at /home/luthien/epilogue/public_html/cgi/dbman/db.cgi line 741. The problem is in the fact that this error message would be displayed to anyone who signs up...even when I have debugging turned OFF(!?)

Try creating another account...i have the debugging option turned off now. You should get an error message like the one above.
thanks

[This message has been edited by luthien (edited February 20, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Sorry about the permission thing, it's just a simple thing that people forget at times.

Vistited the site and made an account (jdunes) I didn't come across a problem either ...... Sorry, wish I could've been of help
Quote Reply
hmmm, it still does it when I try it from my computer. I will try it on another.
thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Well, buddy, I don't know what's wrong. I was able to create two more accounts. (I would have tried more, but I don't have any more email addresses to enter. Smile ) BTW,if you'd like, you can delete the logins I created for JPDeni, Deni and Carol.

I wish I knew what to tell you if you're still getting these messages. The occasional kind of gremlin is the worst of all.

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
AAAArrrrghh! It is still doing it! Even from a different computer... JPD - You are saying you didn't see the white error message text on the lower half of the screen? You are right...the database does work...But I can't have that error text being displayed for everyone to see, and like I said before, I turned off Debugging!?!

thanks
Quote Reply
Luthien, I tried it again. (this time with a phony email address) No, I did not see the error message come up. What I did see was a whole lot of black space at the bottom of my screen. When I looked at the page source, I saw the error message. Maybe the difference is in browsers. I'm using Netscape 4.5.

Sorry I didn't look further before, though. I would have seen what you were talking about.

Turning off debugging won't prevent an error message from showing up.

I can't even figure out what line in db.cgi is causing the problem. What is your line 741?

------------------
JPD
Quote Reply
I got it working!! The problem turned out to be a small sub routine I added that writes info to a text file.
I recommend a small text editing program called Ultra Edit which allows your lines of code to be numbered...greatly aids the process of finding line 741 :-)

Thanks for the help everyone!