Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Forms: generated vs html-files, pros+cons

Quote Reply
Forms: generated vs html-files, pros+cons
I did a search on this subject, but nothing turned up, so here goes...

DBMan generates its own forms on the fly. Is this preferable to using html-file forms? If so, why? The reason I ask, is that I've always found it much easier to work on the visual layout of forms when they are html files. Is it easy to convert DBman into a script that uses html-file forms instead of generating them from the script? Are there disadvantages in doing that?

Opinions appreciated!
Alan33

[This message has been edited by Alan33 (edited April 20, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: Forms: generated vs html-files, pros+cons In reply to
It is important to use the forms that DBMan generates. This is the only way that a logged-in user will be able to do anything. When DBMan generates a form, the user's session id is added to a hidden field on the form. This is sent back to the script when the submit button is pressed, and the script verifies that the user has logged in and gets the user's permissions.

The same thing with the links in the footer. The user's session id is embedded in the links so that the script can verify the user's identity.

When you add a record, if you have any default values for any fields, the script can only fill those in if DBMan generates the forms. When you modify a record, the only way the script can fill in the previous values is if DBMan generates the forms.

One thing to be aware of is that the script starts running at the time a form "submit" button or a link is clicked. It stops running as soon as the page is built. It cannot "remember" anything from one click to the next, but needs all of the information passed back to it.

If you're more comfortable making forms with straight html, you can create the form first and then transfer the code to the html.pl file.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Re: Forms: generated vs html-files, pros+cons In reply to
JP,
That gives me a better understanding if it. Thanks!

Alan