Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

HTML 500 - Internal Server Error

Quote Reply
HTML 500 - Internal Server Error
I know, this problem has been addressed numerous times. I've read all the responses in the forum and am still having no luck. Believe me, this was my last resort.

Here's what I've got:
I've uploaded all the files into my /cgi-bin/ directory. Which is running the latest version of Perl.

I've configured db.cgi to the proper path for Perl "!/usr/bin/perl5" I assume this is the true path because I can run another perl script, TGMail, using this path.

I've modified default.cgi and set $db_dir_url to the directory that dbman resides in "'http://www.onsiteoffsite.com/cgi-bin'" I left out the default "'../dbman'" because my files were not placed in such a directory, they're all in /cgi-bin/. I tried placing them in a directory named /dbman/, changing the variable, no help. I've tried leaving my files in /cgi-bin/ and leaving /dbman at the end of the variable, still no help. I've tried placing all my files in a different directory (i.e. cgidbman), changing the variable, and again, nothing, it tries to download db.cgi when I do that.

I uploaded all files in ASCII using both WS_FTP and LeapFTP.

I set all permissions as explained in Readme.txt. Here's where the problem may be. My ISP uses a Windows NT server. As far as I know, chmod only works on UNIX servers. WS_FTP lets me know this, LeapFTP doesn't seem to care.

I don't have a file named ".htaccess" or anything similar to it so I couldn't possibly try that.

I've tried changing the $def_dir_path variable and it didn't help, same error every time.

I'm near my wits end. If anyone has any other solutions to this problem, or perhaps some insight as to whether using NT is a problem, please respond.

Quote Reply
Re: HTML 500 - Internal Server Error In reply to
Your path names would not cause a 500 error. You might get another type of error, but not a 500.

Two things that I know of cause 500 errors, at least when you first are uploading the demo (and haven't done any altering of the script).

Path to Perl is incorrect
Files not uploaded in ASCII mode

I see that you say your path to Perl is "!/usr/bin/perl5". It may be that you just left it off in your post, but it's supposed to be #!/usr/bin/perl5. The # must be there.

If it is, my only suggestion is that you delete the files you have and upload them again, this time making *absolutely sure* that the upload of *all* files is in ASCII mode.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
I'm getting the "Internal Server Error"! I uploaded via ASCII and my is db.cgi -
# If you run into problems, set $db_script_path to the full path
# to your directory.
$db_script_path = "#!/usr/local/bin/perl"

# Load the form information and set the config file and userid.
local(%in) = &parse_form;
$in{'db'} ? ($db_setup = $in{'db'}) : ($db_setup = 'default');
$in{'uid'} ? ($db_uid = $in{'uid'}): ($db_uid = '');

# Required Librariers

default.cfg -
# --------------------------------------------------------
# URL of the directory dbman resides in. No Trailing Slash Please.
$db_dir_url = "http://64.176.16.173/cgi-bin/dbman";
# URL of dbman.
$db_script_url = $db_dir_url . "/db.cgi";
# Full Path and File name of the database file.
$db_file_name = $db_script_path . "/default.db";
# Full path and file name of the counter file.
$db_id_file_name = $db_script_path . "/default.count";
# Full path and file name of the authorization directory.
$auth_dir = $db_script_path . "/auth";
# Full path and file name of the password file.
$auth_pw_file = $db_script_path . "/default.pass";
# Full path and file name of the log file.
$auth_log_file = $db_script_path . "/default.log";
# Full path and file name of the html routines.
require $db_script_path . "/html.pl";

Quote Reply
You are confused...

The following codes are WRONG:

Code:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl needs to go in the first line of the db.cgi file.

What needs to go in the $db_script_path variable is the COMPLETE SERVER PATH, like the following:

Code:

/absolute/path/to/youraccount/

If you don't know your complete ABSOLUTE SERVER PATH, then contact your hosting company, read your hosting company's online documentation, OR use access your account via telnet and you should see the path, like the following:

Code:

server1:/absolute/path/to/youraccount#

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply

No.

The line #!usr/local/bin/perl should be the very first line of the script. Right at the top before all the copyright info.

The line you have above should be

$db_script_path = ".";

JPD
Quote Reply
JPDeni , I'm really desperate, I troubleshoot the whole night and I still can't get it to work. I know nuts about cgi and perl. Is it possible for you to login to my account and do it for me? Or, I send you the files?

THANKS... I'm dying already...

Quote Reply
I don't feel comfortable logging in to someone else's webspace through ftp. (It's just one of my little phobias. Smile)

What you can do is copy your db.cgi file and put it in a web-accessible directory (one where you would place .html files). Rename the file to db_cgi.txt. Then come back here and tell me where I can pick it up.

I'll see what I can figure out.

JPD
Quote Reply
Hi,
Did this problem ever get resolved ?
I have the same problem and have tried everything on the forum to no avail.
All I have done is installed the latest activeperl, installed DBMan, copied everything to the cgi-bin folder on
my win98 PC, started PWS and typed
http://andy/cgi-bin/db.cgi?db=default
all my delphi cgi programs work ok here but I always get a internal error 500.

Cheers

Andy Dyble

Quote Reply
What changes, if any have you made to the db.cgi script? The problem must be there, because an error in any of the other files would not give you a 500 error. (The would give you another error. Smile)

Since it's on your PC, you don't have to worry about the path to Perl. And you don't have to worry about uploading in ASCII mode. And you don't have to worry about permissions.

The only thing I can think of would be that you might have changed $db_script_path and have a syntax error there.

JPD
Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply,
All I have done is unzipped the files from the web and copied to my cgi-bin folder I haven't changed a thing.

Cheers

Andy

Quote Reply
I confirm this - path to perl is a common error!

Regards, Brian