Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

Help run the cgi script and what is the difference between this and SQL database?

Quote Reply
Help run the cgi script and what is the difference between this and SQL database?
first thing before I start, I just want to say thank you to Alex to make this database available. Even though it does not work for me at the moment I have seen other sites which are using it (couple for the reason I am in fact) and it looks very good. Well anyway for my two other things now..

My first problem is for some reason I can not get the script to run. (Other one of those messages.) I have check though the history of this BB but I couldn't find the answer clearly I think. Well anyway for some reason I can not get the script to run I just get "Internal Server Error" and I guess it is a setting which I am not changing correctly.

Hopefully one of you could possibly help me there. The place is located at http://www.iceburn.net/cgi-bin/db.cgi (that is the place to run it.

Also I read somewhere that it is possible to get an sqL verison of this applet but you have to pay, well my server support SQL & mySQL and I was wondering what is the main difference between this database and SQL databases? (and would an SQL database be more suitable for an Alumni database?)

Thank you for your time.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Help run the cgi script and what is the difference between this and SQL database? In reply to
Hi Mark,

A 500 server error 99% of the time means:

1. You've uploaded something in binary mode. Make sure you FTP all your files in ASCII mode.

2. You've got the path to perl wrong. Make sure the first line of db.cgi goes to perl version 5.

As for the SQL version, the main difference is volume. If you have more then 1 MB worth of data, you will probably need to go to the SQL version, as handling that in a text file will be pretty slow. The two versions are functionally equivalant otherwise..

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Help run the cgi script and what is the difference between this and SQL database? In reply to
Thanx Alex it was indeed because it was in binary. (You have to delete and then re upload not just change to ascii and then re upload (that is what I thought you could do.) Anyway other quick question, is it possible in the future to move from this database (flat-base) to SQL?
Quote Reply

Quote:
Anyway other quick question, is it possible in the future to move from this database (flat-base) to SQL?

You bet! The html.pl file is the same, and the config is very similiar. It's an easy upgrade assuming you haven't made major mods to the db.cgi file.

Cheers,

Alex