Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Installation :

How can we do a mailing from our database?

Quote Reply
How can we do a mailing from our database?
I set up a data base and one of the fields is the email address. Does anyone know how to create a sub routine that would give you an option to do a mailing. All you would have to do is specify the position of the email field, and provide a link to that portion of the script:

..../db.cgi?mail

or something like that. This subroutine would bring up a new screen. All you would need to do is enter in the subject and body and the program would pull the list and mail the message out. It could easily be written to pull the first and last name fields and add that to the message so the message would be personalized.

Also an option would have to be in there that if the record contained no email address then skip to the next so it wouldn't try to email a blank address.

I have read the other solution which makes use of the the nph-mail.cgi script, but now you are really maintaining two scripts and not just one.

I should just sit down and learn it my self (cgi that is), but I never have the time...

Does anyone know enough about cgi and this script to set up this routine?

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: How can we do a mailing from our database? In reply to
Dave,
I am thinking of the mail function within the DB Man also, but not only the mailing also the mailing list.

For your question, you may add <A HREF="MAILTO:$rec{'email_address`}">$rec{'email_address`}</A> in your html.pl file so that people can click on the databasae and send mails to that person by using their own software software(not the cgi one). <- Similiar to the URL link, but just using MAILTO!!

I hope it is useful for you!!

terewong
terewong@usa.net